Double Surprises

~3 years later, 1944~

Philia's pov:

I was somewhere deep in a forest and there I was sitting on a huge rock meditating, remembering everything going on in my life. The wind blew through my hair and kimono as I slowly opened my eyes. The sun was rising and it was such a sight to see. It has been 3 years ever since I came here to live with Japan and to be honest... He was kind of nice, I mean I didn't really like him when I first came here but throughout the 3 years of living here I realized that he was a really a good man, serious in work but yet makes time for us to bond, also very quiet and calm. I felt someone hug me from behind and didn't really mind since I already knew who it was. "Himawari~... Found you my himawari~" I finally turned to look him in the eye. "Hi Japan, how did you find me?"

"I just came out of the house and it seems like you dropped your earring, and so I wanted to give it back to you... But unfortunately, when you dropped it..." He stopped talking mid sentence and pulled out my earring but it was broken. Oh no, it must've broke when it fell off. I took it from his hand and put it in my kimono's pocket. "I'm really sorry Philia..." Japan apologized and bowed 90 degrees. I told him that apologizing wasn't necessary since it wasn't his fault and that the earring was just a thing. "Don't worry Philia, I'll buy you another one." Japan said smiling a little. We were walking back to Japan's house and a man was standing right in front of the house. Japan stopped right in his tracks and gave the man a death glare. "Japan are you okay?" I touched his shoulder gently. He looked back at me and immediately changed his expression. "Himawari, just stay near the house and hide okay?" I didn't say a thing and just obeyed him. I hid near the house as Japan confronted the man. "Japan are you in there?!" The man said pounding on the door. "I'm right here." Japan said and the man turned around immediately. I took a slight glance at the man and how I would describe him was, pale, black hair, same age and height as Japan. This stranger looked familiar. "How could you do this to us Japan?! You lied to us! You lied to me, South and North Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, and even to Malay, and Indo!!! We were your family, we were your brothers!!!" The man started tearing up. "China calm down, you know that you can't control everything I do and choose." Japan calmly began. Wait, China?! "Well what about Thailand and Cambodia, your sisters, and two of the only three girls here in Asia!" China starting shaking Japan. I couldn't believe it, China my oldest childhood friend was here right now. "But you know what Japan? That's just one of the reasons I came here... Your sisters are fine but I need to know about what you did to my childhood friend! What did you do to Ma-i!!!" (Ma-i is what the Chinese people called Philippines before) China shook Japan even harder then all of a sudden China had a dark aura around him. "Fine if you won't say anything then I might as well tear you to shreds right now!" China grabbed a katana from the side of his waist. Japan didn't give any emotion and just stood there, but I started panicking for him and quickly searched my pockets only to find a traditional Japanese fan. I didn't complain and immediately jumped onto the house's platform and ran towards them, and just when China thrusted his arm forward to stab Japan I quickly opened the fan and let the katana pierce through the fan's paper, then I used all of my adrenaline to close the fan clipping the katana on where it was pierced and immediately twisted the fan making him let go of the katana. I then stood beside Japan and pulled out the katana from the fan and stretched my arm out, making the blade cross his chest signaling that he was under my protection. Both of their eyes widened at my lightning fast defense. It was very silent for a couple of seconds and when I was sure that China wouldn't do anything I dropped the torn fan and lowered the katana. "Japan are you alright?" I worriedly asked him as I touched his face, he then placed his hand on top of mine making my hand stay in place. "I am now... Watashi no ai..." (Watashi no ai trans: my love) He said and kissed my forehead. I turned to China and he was still processing what happened. "I'm fine China, in fact Japan was the one who took care of me." China snapped out of it and then replied. "Ma-i, it's really you... But why do you have an eyepatch?" I touched my eyepatch and took it off revealing only my scar because I was hiding the empty socket. "No, raise your eyelid Ma-i you can't just hide secrets from me like Japan did..." I hesitated but sighed in defeat and raised my eyelid revealing what was there. "What the he-... Did Japan do this to you Ma-i?" China said with hatred in his voice. "No it was Spain, I swear, Japan has never hurt me..." China was silent for about five minutes but started talking again. "B-but, those scars seem like he-" "Only I can talk about her scars, because either way... She is eternally beautiful."
Japan cut China short and when he said those things China wore a jealous expression on his face. "I think I better get going... Maybe Japan and I can talk... Next time... If there is a next time for him..." China said mumbling the last part. He walked off and disappeared into the forest I watched him leave. We didn't even have time to talk to each other again. My thoughts were interrupted when Japan hugged me from behind. "Thank you my himawari, thank you watashi no ai..." He started nuzzling his face on my nape. After he let go I suggested we go back inside and restart our day, he agreed and when we were walking back inside he started talking again. "Himawari? Is it okay if we go somewhere tonight? Like a restaurant then after, maybe a walk?" I agreed and for some reason he gave out a weird look, it looked like he was relieved, but yet again like he was gonna cry. But why though?

China's pov:

I was heading back to my country in a ship drinking my green tea. Suddenly the thought of my oldest friend defending that traitor, while he holds and touches her like that made me burn up with jealousy. "No!!!" I angrily threw my cup of tea at the wall of the ship and it shattered into many pieces. "Why? Why?! Would she defend him?! A traitorous snake, who has wronged us all-" My voice faded at the end of my supposedly angry sentence. Japan has wronged us all, even the two other girls Thailand and Cambodia... So if he didn't treat Ma-i like trash that only means... I let out a deep low growl. "That bastard..." I whispered. So he really thinks that he can betray us all and keep the secret of being an Axis member to Ma-i while soon her country will be desolated, for the war between him and America for her land will soon start. And then mean while my sweet Ma-i will know nothing of this. I sighed and decided that it was time to pick a side. I called on of my servants and told one of them to get me the communicator. "Hello?... Yes this is China... I called to say that I found her..."

~Timeskip~

Philia's pov:

As I was getting ready for the night out with Japan I checked myself in the mirror, I chose to wear a royal blue kimono, it had yellow outlines and I topped it off with a red sash around my waist. These colors remind me of the flag I was trying to design before America broke our deal. I sighed and started tying my hair to a ponytail. "Eh, good enough for just a night out." I said to myself. As I was staring at my reflection in the mirror a shadow was lingering outside on the terrace of Japan's wood and paper house. I walked towards it and then suddenly the shadow lifted it's hand and tried to open the terrace's sliding door. Japan's house didn't have any glass just paper so all I could see was the shadow of whatever that was outside. It tried to open the door multiple times and it scared me so I grabbed my gun and put my shaking hand on the door, gun ready to shoot, then all of a sudden I heard a knock on my bedroom door and in stepped Japan. "Hey are you ready Himawari?" As I looked at him and looked back at the door the shadow was gone. "U-uh, yea..." I stuttered.

The date was actually really fun, Japan took me to a sushi restaurant, then he took me to a nice park. We kept walking around the park until Japan stopped in the middle of crossing a wooden bridge. I was confused but shrugged it off and just stood beside him both of us leaning on the side of the bridge gazing at the water. I looked up to see his face, he must've noticed that I was staring because he looked back at me, his light brown eyes staring at my amber one. Embarrassed I immediately looked away. Then suddenly Japan started stroking my eyepatch. "Philia, may I ask you something?" I looked over at him and nodded. "What if I told you that I couldn't get you another earring?" He asked. "Then that's fine, because it's just an object." I replied. He smiled and spoke again. "But I did get you another type of jewelry..." I stared at him confused. Why is he acting this way? Is he sick or something? Japan then stopped leaning and walked right in front of me cornering me to the handle of the bridge. He put his hands on my waist and hoisted me up that I'm now sitting on the handle of the bridge. "Ph-Philia... Through the past 3 years I saw how intelligent, beautiful, and enjoyable you are... And I just wanted to say that you are the best thing that came into my life, and all I have is just one question..." I just sat there confused until he knelt on one knee and from the pocket of his kimono he pulled out a small red box and when he opened it, there sat a gold ring with an engraving of vines and in the middle was a clear diamond taking the shape of a Sampaguita. I was so shocked, I never knew that Japan felt this way. "Philippines... Will you marry me?" I was out of words. "I... I-" Before I could finish my sentence I heard a gunshot. Both of us stood up properly Japan protectively holding me in his arms. "Step away from her Japan!" My eyes widened at the person who stepped out of the shadows. "Hand over the ring you bastard!" He said again. Japan held me tighter.

"America..."

Author:
I just love cliffhangers... Don't you?

~~~~~~~~~~
1955 words
~~~~~~~~~~