Price of admission Part 24

The guys were making their way through the crowd of people, trying to join up with the rest of their group with little success. "Damn it, why are there so many people?" Hamaguchi asked.

"Even if we knew where they were, we'd be lucky to get to them in time." Nakai added.

Nishikata pulled out his phone and began looking through his contacts. "I'm going to call Takagi and see if she can't help us get closer."

"Wait, you have her number?!" Hamaguchi asked.

"Huh? Yeah, I mean ... we are close." He said as he blushed. "Though it was kinda embarrassing to ask her for it."

"Damn it!" Hamaguchi exclaimed as he looked away and clenched his fist. "How do you two always end up ahead of me?"

"Uh ..." They both said as they looked at each other.

"Mano really likes me, so I've never really had to make any moves." Nakai explained.

"Yeah, and Takagi and I hang around each other for other reasons." Nishikata paused for a moment. "But I wouldn't say that I'm further along than you are with Houjou."

"Why'd you just say two statements that directly contradict each other?"

"Because we're just friends-"

"That's still a step ahead of me." Hamaguchi sighed. "Man, sometimes you are just sad."

"Sad?"

"Yeah, your problem is you lack confidence."

"I am well aware of that, Takagi uses that to tease me on a daily basis." He went back to his phone. "I'm going to call her now."

Meanwhile, Takagi and the others had found a place to stand that was close enough to the stage, yet just far enough away that it wasn't too crowded. However, time seemed to be going by faster than expected. "Where are they?" Mano asked. "I'm worried that they won't get here before the concert starts."

"Yeah, I know how you feel." Takagi said as she looked back.

"Wait a second." Houjou began as she looked at Takagi with a smug expression. "Takagi is worried about something? This is a first."

"Well yeah, I mean back during the summer festival, Nishikata and I got separated just before the fireworks started and didn't find each other again until just after it ended."

Houjou was silent as she turned back to face the stage. "Okay, that makes sense, sorry."

They continued to wait, until finally, Takagi's phone rang. "Huh?" She said as she pulled it out of her pocket. "It's Nishikata."

"You have his number?" Houjou asked as Takagi answered it.

"Nishikata? ... yeah, we're not at the stage, we're about ... a fourth of the way from it ... kinda in the middle ..." A sly smile appeared on Takagi's face. "Oh, you can't wait to meet up with us?" Takagi laughed for a bit before wiping her eye. "I know, I know, I'm really looking forward to watching it with you as well ... well-being friends is one reason ... not telling ... we'll be on the lookout for you. See you soon." She hung up the phone and turned around to look for the guys.

"Hey, Takagi?" Houjou began. "Quick question, how oblivious is that boy?"

"It's not that he's oblivious, he's just in denial. He's so nervous that he hasn't even realized, or accepted his own feelings. To be perfectly honest though, I can wait till he's ready."

"You're more patient than I am." Mano said.

A few moments later, the guys finally came into view. "HEY!" Mano said as she waved her arm. "We're over here!"