Part twenty-five

Fair bit of warning, this chapter it pretty long. So buckle in and enjoy.

(Chloe's POV)

I was sitting on the roof of the compound looking at the stars.

They reminded me of Luke.

I always loved looking at the stars. They were beautiful. Just like everything I had missed out on while in Hydra.

It had been a few weeks since I had broken down in the shower. Mom was still worried about me, but I guess that is her job.

I had talked with Wanda some more. Told her a few more things about my childhood.

If you could call it that.

I had opened up to mom about it as well. But I just couldn't bare to tell her the less than good stuff. I could tell whenever I talked about it she always blamed herself.

Although, I guess she does have reason to blame herself.

Bzz Bzz!

I looked at my phone. It was a text from Steve. We had a mission.

Finally!! Yes!!

I had been dying to get out of here. This was just what I needed to clear my head, so to speak.

I phased through the ceiling and landed in the meeting/conference room.

Steve, mom, And Tony where all there already.

Tony!

"Tony! You're back!" I said giving him a hug.

"Yeah kiddo. I'm back." He smiled returning the hug.

I know, I usually don't like Tony, but he's as much my family as everyone else here.

"Great. Now that we're all here, let's get to it." Steve said pulling up a picture on a screen and we all sat down. "This, is Zack Ton. He is famous in the underworld. And we just got word that he was looking for something new to sell."

I looked at mom confused. "Underworld, as in, black market." She said and I nodded my head turning my attention back to Steve.

"We think that he is going to go to a science convention in Tennessee. Now, rumor has it, that Zack has a special bodyguard. If special is the right word. We got word that his bodyguard has special abilities. As to what they are, we don't know yet."

"Then why don't we bring Wanda with us?" I cut him off. "And why a science convention?"

"We need someone who can talk with the kids at the convention without drawing attention. Plus, you have the added advantage of having your own powers. So if anything goes sideways, you can handle it until we can get there. Plus, I won't be there on account that I have to go to a press conference that Pepper's making me go to." Tony told me and I sighed. "And it's actually more like a science gala. Also because it has some impressive prototypes there, that he would just love to get his hands on."

"Fine. Do I have to wear a dress?" I asked and mom looked guilty. "Ugh. Fine! Tell me when we leave!" I said throwing my arms in the air in defeat and walking to my bedroom.

————————

"Chloe! Chloe, hurry up!" I heard mom call the next morning.

"One minute!" I replied as I grabbed my shoes.

I stepped out of my bedroom to find mom and Wanda staring at me. "What? Do I look bad?"