Part twenty-three

4:37 am.
(Chloe's POV)

I stood in the shower letting the hot water run over me.

I had woken up from a nightmare; or more like a memory. A memory I had long since buried.

One that I didn't like.

I grabbed the bottle of lavender scented shampoo and squirted some into my hand. When I went to put it away I dropped it and it clattered to the floor of the shower with a thud and I watched the memory all over again.

No!

San Francisco, California. October, 2012.

I punched Luke in the face knocking him backwards.

"Sorry." I whispered so that our instructors wouldn't overhear.

"It's...fine." He whispered back holding his jaw.

Luke swiped his foot under my legs causing me to fall on my but.

Groaning I got up and we walked in a circle around each other.

Luke advanced at me and I backflipped avoiding his grip, but he expected that and grabbed my waist when I had landed on my feet and pulled me into a head lock.

Come on!

I tried to twist out of his grip, but Luke was a foot taller and much stronger then me.

I patted Luke's arm signaling that I gave in, and he let go.

Fine! I give up!

"Lousy. Sloppy. Uncoordinated. You both know better." The male instructor said while the female just shook her head.

I looked at my feet and out of the corner of my eye I saw Luke do the same.

I hate this speech.

"You are supposed to be the best of the best. You are supposed to be Dr. List's best creations. You are not some of the only who survived the first three stages for nothing. You were not given you gifts just so that you could be sloppy, and arrogant, and childish." The instructor continued. "If you insist on acting like this, maybe a trip into the red room will change you mind."

No!

At this my head snapped up and my eyes widened in horror. I looked at Luke, and he looked just as horrified as I was.

The red room was where kids went when they were to be tested for their bad attitude. Everyone feared it. No matter who they were.

"That's what I thought." The instructor said smugly. I almost slapped him, but refrained for fear of the red room.

The female instructor walked to the door and opened it motioning for us to leave, which we did.

"I'm sorry." Luke apologized as we were escorted by guards to our quarters.

Even though I had abilities, and so did Luke, the instructors had a way to turn them off. I looked up at the ceiling where a disk hung. I always guessed that they were there to stop us from using our powers. Mainly, because they were everywhere, but the test lab.

It was a smart thing to do. Keep us in line.

"It's okay. Training, right?" I replied as we got to our rooms.

"Talk after dinner?" He asked and I nodded with a smile walking through the door.

I fell with a thud in the shower clutching to the walls breathing heavily.