18 - Happy Family... Or Not

Why was I born?

It's a question most would ask themselves at least once in their life.

It was the question Renka asked herself when she opened her eyes in a white and bright room, as a tired-looking woman cooed at her while the midwife and doctor wiped blood away from the wrinkled face.

Why... was I born?

※※※

Renka didn't know how she made it back home.

"I'll save everyone who it's possible to save."

"I'll make impossible possible."

Kirishima's words played over and over in her head.

"Those are just ideals."

"Hopeful fairy tales."

"Look at reality, it's not possible!"

How could she say that to someone willing to turn those ideals real, while knowing the bitterness of reality? She knows better than anyone the crushing pain of regret.

"I did my best."

"The situation was beyond me."

It was very easy to console yourself, yet Kirishima raised above it. He went beyond. As though scalded by the heat of his declaration, she had quickly left. Although the sun has yet to set completely, the street lamps lined up by the sidewalk are already lit, fully prepared to drive away the ensuing darkness.

"Haa, what am I doing?"

It turns out her eyes were on the past all along, when Kirishima's already begun looking at the future. Was she satisfied, failing to save someone she was supposed to protect at all costs? Of course not. Still, a part of her had cajoled, "It's alright, there was nothing else you could do back then." 

Like poison. 

Once she begun to think that way, she continued to think so for those she failed to save. Then, there may come a day she fail to save someone not because she's truly unable to, but because she thinks she's unable to. Giving up before even trying.

She thought she had been working hard ever since reincarnation, to make up for her past life's regrets. To make up for taking over 'Senshiro Renka's life.

"Stop crying, and smile."

"Don't be picky with your food!"

"Study well."

"Listen to mum and dad."

The passing remarks, serious reprimands and well-intended advice received from her loved ones in her past life, became commandments in this life. Doing things she was unaccustomed to and squashing down impulses. Yet, it turns out that it wasn't only her actions or behaviour she needed work on, but her thoughts.

Kirishima-kun, you were wrong... You did save me.

※※※

"I'M BACK!! Missed me?"

"Enough nonsense, come here before the food gets cold!" Touko's voice can be heard from further inside the house.