Omake - Underlings Have a Hard Time Too

"Hey, take this."

"Hmph!" a shaky hand snatches the blanket from Tamakawa Sansa, a man with the head of a tabby cat.

Across the bars of an overly-bright room, a captured villain is glaring daggers at the cop outside his cell. Unfortunately, with his body shaking like a leaf and with snot running down his nose, he cut such a sorry figure that not only were his 'threatening' glares unobserved by the cop, the good man is wondering if he should get the captive a cup of hot tea.

Despite the villain's ungrateful response, he's actually thankful for the thick blanket, though he has yet to feel its effects. No, I'm a villain. A villain can't be feelin' thankful to a freakin' cop! He wraps the blanket more snugly around his body and begins to question life.

Being frozen, threatened and interrogated by a kid, that was how his first and last mission as a villain (underling) ended. He heard that Shigaraki-san and the rest failed to kill All Might, but he doesn't really care. Unlike some of his fellow villains, he had no hatred for the Symbol of Peace, or any hero in particular. That isn't what he's frustrated about.

He was just an ordinary white-collar worker, one you can find anywhere. Mediocre Quirk, mediocre life, mediocre job, his existence was filled with mediocrity, and he was sick of it. Just once in his life, he wanted to do something extraordinary. He wanted to go down in history as 'someone' instead of being part of 'anyone'.

Thus when his co-worker invited him to join the League of Villains, he accepted. When Shigaraki clearly didn't reveal the entire plan, he didn't question it. When the plan stated that the top brass and the underlings will move separately, he knew that they were being used as bait. Yet he didn't expose them. He had thought back then that these were proof of his determination to step out of mediocrity, but... he was just being his usual self. Going with the flow, accepting things the way they are, never taking the initiative.

And this is where it landed him. A cell with only 2 chairs, a table and a ceiling lamp so bright that it's unnerving. Oddly enough, he's more comfortable here than at USJ.

He didn't know exactly how much time they spent frozen at the Landslide Zone, but the boy with two-toned hair had come to thaw the ice as the police force handcuffed and sent them to separate holding cells in the station. Although Shigaraki and Kurogiri seemed to have escaped, he saw a docile Noumu following the cops. I thought he had a decent chance of beating All Might...

In the end, all he achieved was going from being a mediocre person to a mediocre villain. Hold up, was he even a villain? The only crime he truly committed was trespassing. That kid froze him before he could even attempt attacking...

"......"

Seriously?

"... Thanks for the blanket," he mumbles quietly. Being extraordinary is as out-of-reach for him as always.

----------

Extra 1:

Underling A: (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)و I was in the anime for 2 seconds!

Underling B: Hah! That's nothing, did you see my panel in the manga? It's a huge, central panel spanning almost half the page! Just me and one of the main characters! (Though he's scary as heck...)

Underling C: Pssh, you're covered by the speech bubble and ice, no one knows it's you... ( ̄□ ̄;)

Underling B: You're just jealous!

Underling C: ....... I won't deny it. I was only 0.938701cm tall in my panel. |||ORZ|||

Underling A: ... You measured that?

----------

Extra 2:

Underling B: Wait, that's it??! I was the main character in this chapter, but no one knows my name or looks, when we know the cop's! And he was just a bystander!

Narrator: Will Underling B ever escape the fate of an underling even in his own story? ...... No one cares so let's end it here already.

Underling B: So mean!!! At the very least, let me say this! My name is—

Narrator: The end.