Heroes Must Be Heroes

Philippines' POV

After I opened by eyes, I was in my room. "Was it all a dream?" I thought. I looked around my room to see some pictures I have on my walls. But the bedsheets were different. Even the walls that were painted a different color.

"No hot tamales today, Mexico! I already bought the churros!" I heard Spain yell across my room. My eyes widened. "Dudes can we just get McDonalds?" I heard America, too. I giggled and sat upright on my bed. "So it wasn't a dream," I spoke quietly to myself and was about to come out. I was interrupted by the door bursting open with three men coming out. Only two were the ones I recognized as America and Spain.

They were holding a tray in their hands with a plate of churros and a glass of milk. Spain and some other guy were holding a banner saying "Welcome Back Philippines" and America was holding the breakfast tray plus a stack that looked like a thousand presents from each nation.

"A present from every country and nation for your birthday, Dudette," America said and put the presents down and handed me the breakfast tray. I felt a little bit sad because it was yesterday that Manila was in my room, with an identical breakfast tray for my birthday. I forced myself to put a grin. But America could see through my flaws and gave me a concerned look.

"Hey, Dudette? You okay?" America asked. I nodded. "It's nothing," I replied and took a sip from my glass of milk. Spain whispered something in America's ear. "Oh," A,Erica said as if he just understood something. "I told you it was a bad idea amigo," the other guy said, glancing at America with his arms crossed. Spain's eyes lit up as if he just remembered something.

"Gah I feel like there's bull-fighting going on in my head! This is your older brother, Mexico. The one I mentioned in the hospital," Spain said as the other guy, or Mexico, walked forward and kissed my hand. I glanced at America who grit his teeth. "Nice meeting you, sis," Mexico said. I nodded. "Opo," I replied as Mexico stood next to Spain.

Spain winced. "I may want to take this warning if I were you, Philippines. He's a bit of a pervert," Spain said whispering the last part. I raised one eyebrow as America soon stepped in with a nervous laughter. "Now that introduction's done let's get to the presents!" America exclaimed and sat next to me on my bedside. "Jealous much? And I heard what you said, hermano," Mexico said and faced Spain.

"What's going-a on that's causing me to-a wake up this-a early?" I heard someone sounding like Romano in the room next to the one I was in. He came into the room, rubbing his eyes in tomato pajamas and a white shirt saying Shut Up You Bastard in black. When I think he was actually fully awake, he stood there with his eyes wide. "Oh you actually care," I said and smirked.

"What the- Mango-a Bastard?!" Romano exclaimed. I rolled my eyes. "Why are you always calling me a bastard?!" I asked. "It's a normal habit of-a mine ever since you-a violated the-a tomato fields!" Romano argued. "Wait, is that why my country"/ running low on ketchup?" America asked and I shook my head.

"England was testing out his magic again!" I exclaimed, defending myself. "Bastard," Romano ,uttered and crossed his arms. Spain raised one eyebrow. "How come almost whenever you two see each other you start arguing?" Spain asked. "Yeah it's been going on for years," America said stepping in. Mexico was silent since he knew little about me and Romano.

"Mangoes are better!" I exclaimed.

"Tomatoes are better!" Romano exclaimed at the same time.

"Dudes, really?" America asked. "Fusososo!" Spain exclaimed, laughing heartily. "Look who's-a talking, Hamburger-a Bastard," Romano said. "Hey, hamburgers are protein!" America exclaimed. Mexico muffled a laugh. "Romano that wasn't ni- Ai Caramba my stomach!" Spain exclaimed as Romano punched his stomach.

I winced just looking how hard Romano punches. "I-I'll just open my presents now," I said and reached for the first one on the top of the stack. Spain nodded and clutched his stomach. "And I'll start taking pain medicines now," Spain said, walking away to the bathroom. "I think he-a agrees that tomatoes are-a better," Romano said with his arms still crossed. "Of course he does!" I exclaimed and read the tag on the present.

To: Philippines
From: Japan

"Dudette I think that it's something miniature. Japan's a boss at things like that," America said. I got out of my bed and sat on the floor to carefully unwrap the Japanese-styled paper and opened the white box. Instead of something miniature like America said, it was still technically small, but I think what he meant was something like a replica put in a small size.

Instead, it was a holographic 3D music box. Whenever you wind up the handle, a holographic 3D video of two people dancing to the music appears. Since I listen to Japanese music, I'm familiar with the song Servant of Evil. One thing that caught my eyes were the two people dancing. Of course, the two people were animated. But the details looked like America and I.

I glanced at America to see if he noticed. His blue eyes were widened staring at the music box with him facing it. "Okay! I'm back!" Spain exclaimed walking back into the room. Romano rolled his eyes as Spain stood next to him. "Oh that one's from me!" Spain exclaimed as I reached for the top present on the stack.

Suddenly, America's phone rung. He took it out of his bomber jacket and looked at who was calling. "Crap," America muttered and didn't answer the phone, automatically hanging up and putting it back in his jacket. I raised one eyebrow and looked at America. "Who was it?" I asked curiously. America rubbed the back of his neck.

"Relax, Dudette. It's just a call from my boss," America said. But soon after, his phone rung again. "Maybe you should answer it," I said. A,Erica sighed and walked out of the room, answering the phone.

*1 hour later*

After what seemed like an endless sea of presents, I was finally at the last one, America's present. I opened it finding a small heart locker with me and America on it. "Where's Kuya- I mean, America? I want to thank him," I said with the locket in my hand. Spain pouted at the window where America was talking on the phone outside.

"Salamat po," I said and walked out of the room and descended the large set of stairs and opened the wooden door. Before I could thank him, I couldn't help but overhear what he was talking about on the phone.

"Can't you just let Russia take care of it? As much as I want to be the hero I can't be in a war zone with a terrorist and a communist! Besides, I might not come back!"

"What?" I asked. America looked over at me with a phone in his hand. "I'll call you back," America said and hung up. "I'll call you back," America said and hung up. "Piri I-" "Your leaving?" I asked, almost at the verge of tears.

"Philippines I'm sorry," America said and pulled me not a tight hug. I sobbed on his shoulder, crying silently. "Your not going, right?" I asked. America ran his fingers through my hair. "I'm sorry but I have to," America said. He released me from the tight hug and patted my back and forced a smile.

"Heroes must be heroes," America said.

"Stop trying to act like the hero! What if you get hurt? What if someone important back at home misses you and you don't come back?" I asked with tears rolling down my cheeks. "Philippines I'm sorry I don't have a choice," America said. My eyes widened as I rubbed my eyes. "Philippines it isn't your fault for crying. I'll be gone. My boss wants me to go ever since the World Trade Center was hit," America said.

"Then take me with you!" I exclaimed. America shook his head and patted my head. "I want to protect you so you can stay out of the war zone," America said.

"Stop Saving Me!" I exclaimed.

America shook his head and kissed me on the lips. My eyes widened as my tears were still rolling down my cheeks, America's hand cupping my cheeks with his fingers wiping my tears. I released him and shook my head.

"I just wanted to kiss you before I go," America said with a half smile on his face. "Just please, don't go," I said in a small voice. "I'm sorry, Philippines," America said and walked away. I bit my lip to prevent me from crying.

So this is what heroes do, huh?