Chapter 3

Pacing around if she made the right choice before going into her bedroom to get her travel documents, passport, and ID card. Then she remembered to buy a present for Mex, you can't go to a birthday party without a present!

Philip went to a Sari-Sari store and looked inside to see if Mex would like anything. Then she found a perfect gift: a cactus keychain. "Mag kano po ito? (How much is this?)" She asked the storekeeper, "15 pesos po, (It's 15 pesos)", the storekeeper replied.

Philip inhaled deeply as irritation began pouring in like water, "Sige, (OK)" she sighed and paid ₽15. "Salamat! (Thank you!)" she thanked before leaving with the keychain in hand. She strolled back home, staring at the cactus keychain that slightly glistened in the sun.

As a cool breeze swept through the area, Philip then started to text Mex on her phone.

———————————————————————

Manila: @MexiTaco

MexiTaco: wat

Manila: i got a gift for u

MexiTaco: i thought u arent coming

Manila: changed mah mind

MexiTaco: Wat made u do dat?

Manila: nothing

MexiTaco: U are such a good friend tbh. Tysm, Hermana

Manila: np

———————————————————————

Honestly, Philip didn't want to say that she got fired, I mean, it would be embarrassing to say that. Anyhoo, she opened the door to her devoid house and sloped onto the couch. "Why would you lie to a good friend?" she asked in her head, with her heart slowly sinking into a tar of guilt and a bad feeling in her stomach.

Then she called up Mal and Indo to see if her two besties were free.

—————MaPhilIndo Group Chat————

Phil: Mal, Indomie

Indo: yah?

Mal: wut

Phil: yall are free rn?

Indo: yah, why?

Mal: shush indo, she finally gets sum free time

Phil: yall wanna catch up, ig?

Indo: yea sure

Mal: wher

Phil: Somewhere only we know

Indo: ohhhhh okay

Mal: bro u singing or wat?

Phil: both

Indo: well she is a real good singer

Phil: why thenk u

Mal: yall better be there or imma cut off indo's...you know

Indo: fine

———————————————————

The trio set down their phone and headed to the nearby forest, going to their secret meet up location since they were kids.

Philip and Mal were there first, "Hi..." Philip greeted as she set her gaze to the Malaysian, "Waddup, Phil!" Malay cheered as he embraced the Filipina, "Glad to see you again," Philip smiled as she hugged Malay back.

"YOU FORGOT ABOUT ME!" Indo hollered as he crashed into the hug with open arms, "I missed this place SO much.".

The three of them looked around the clearing in the forest what was near a cliff beside the sea, "It's still the same," Philip proclaimed, "But we aren't," Malay commented, "Yeah, like, Philip has been crying more often," Indo stated. Philip scoffed, "Not that much,", "Maybe she still misses—" Malay jeered. Philip sneered at Malay and grabbed one of her slippers, "Shuddup, Mal!" Indo warned Malay as he pointed to Philip who was holding her slipper.

The Malaysian nodded and stopped provoking her. "You know how powerful it is," Indo joked, "Yes," Philip laughed, putting her slipper back on her foot.

The three of them shared peals of laughter and chatted about along with their old jokes from long ago when they were kids. They missed these times and they haven't thought of their youth in so long that it seems as if it belonged to someone else. Catching up with each other's lives, the three grew close like when they were young.

"Damn, I didn't know you liked Nether," Philip gasped, "And I didn't know you were gay," Malay added, "Well I am," Indo scowled. "As long as y'all don't go..." Malay smirked and stared making clicking sounds, "AYO!" Philip bleated, "Shaddap," Indo growled, "Make me, Jakarta," the Malaysian shot back. Malay stifled a giggle as the Indonesian turned bright red, "Lmao," Philip chortled.

Soon, the sun started to settle below the sea as the sky turned orange and warm. The trio sighed happily in unison, "I missed this," Philip admitted, "Same," Malay agreed, "It's been so long," Indo added as they watched the sky turn gradually into a starry sky with the cool sea breeze.

"Oh yeah, I gotta catch my flight tomorrow," Philip mentioned, "Fight?" Malay asked, "Where ya going?". "North America," the Pinay responded, "For Mex's birthday,". Indo tilted his head, "Don't you have work?", "Y'all better keep this a secret," Philip said and told them that she got fired from the hospital. "How about money?" Malay inquired, "I have a lot of savings," Philip said, "I don't wanna be guilty about it, anyways.". "I'm guessing Mex just persuaded you, Phil," Indo claimed, "Kinda," Philip answered.

"Hey, Phil..." Malay called out, "I have this question that has been lingering for a long time...", "What is it?" Philip said, "Why are you even named 'Philip' anyways!?" Malay yelled, "I mean—like, why!?". The Filipino grinned, "When I was born... my mom and dad assumed I was a boy because Martial was.", "And?" Indo said, "And they named me 'Philippines' but then I was a woman but they just didn't wanna change it I guess," Philip continued, "So I'm pretty much stuck with 'Philip'. But at least they added 'Manila'.".

"The question that has been a mystery," Malay jokingly stated, "Has been answered..." Indo completed. "Well, now you know," Philip nodded, "It's been fun, but I gotta wake up early so...see yah!" And walked back to her house to go hit the sack.

.