Chapter 2

Tik-ti-la-ok!

The cock crowed, just like any other morning.

Philip kicked off her blanket and stood up to make the bed.

Then she went outside to see what was in the mail, though she always expected there was nothing inside.

However, this time there was one single envelope, "Ano!? (What!?)" she gasped and immediately took it out.

The letter was from Mexico, inviting her over for his Independence Day.

"Salamat, Mex! (Thank you, Mex!)" she cried and took out her phone to book a flight to North America, where Mex lived.

(ʜᴇʀᴇ's sᴏᴍʜɪɴɢ ʏᴜ ɢᴏᴛᴛᴀ ᴜɴᴇʀsᴀɴ ʏ ᴀᴜ: ʜᴇ 𝟽 ᴄᴏɴɪɴᴇɴs ᴀʀᴇ ɪɪ ɪɴᴛᴏ ɪsʟᴀɴs. s ʏᴜ ɴᴇᴇ ᴛᴏ ʙᴏᴏᴋғʟɪɢʜ ɪғ ʏᴀɴɴᴀ ɢ ᴛᴏ ᴀɴᴏᴛʜᴇʀ ᴄᴏɴɪɴᴇɴ)

She then put down the mail on the side table before cooking breakfast and getting ready for work.

"Sandali, (Wait,)" Philip said, "I have work on those days!", stopping what she was doing.

Then she quickly checked her phone to cancel the flight, but she saw a notification and checked it instead of canceling her flight.

"@philip, R u available on the 16th?" The message (from Mexico) read, "No" Philip texted back.

At that moment, Mexico started typing, "Why".

—————————————————————

Manila: I'm busy

MexiTaco: doin wat

Manila: work

MexiTaco: Then request for a sickleave

Manila: the flight takes 11hours and it is tiring to fly back and forth just for a birthday party. No offense tho

MexiTaco: U never came to mine for 5 years

Manila: good point

MexiTaco: cant u take a week off?

Manila: I work in a damn hospital, Im exhausted after all

MexiTaco: Alright

Manila: look, Im sorry

MexiTaco: I understand it fine. I just feel like u dont remember my day anymore

————————————————————

The Filipina didn't know how to reply to his words and put down her phone, sighing as guilt started to seep in.

It was true, she hadn't been to Mex's independence parties for 5 years already, due to the fact she had been busy. The text made her feel a sense of remorse, even though she knows that the Mexican never came to her Independence Day.

"Pakiusap, partawarin mo ako, Mex, (Please, forgive me, Mex)" she mumbled and went set off for the hospital.

Overthinking if she should go or not, she zoned out at work from time to time, even costing one patient's life one time.

"Philip?" A fellow nurse called out but Philip wasn't there (mentally), "Are you there?" She asked.

"PHILIP!" A doctor yelled, "ANO!? (WHAT!?)" She yelped, going back into the real world.

"Aren't you supposed to watch this patient!?" The doctor snapped at her, "Oh yeah," she stammered and continued checking her patient's records and vitals.

This went on for 2 weeks until she was called by the hospital and they even sent a letter to her.

"Hello?" She said on her landline phone, she was scared out of her witts, "You are Ms. Manila?" The voice asked in a rather raspy, monotone voice.

"Yes,"

"I'm afraid we have bad news..."

The Filipina opened the letter, reading it as the person on the other line continued.

He was talking about concentration and other factors that Philip has been missing these days.

Reading the letter as she listened, each word made a piece of her heart fall off.

After being an employee of the year for 5 years straight, the hospital decided to fire her altogether with no second glance.

As the conversation went on, her face melted into a frown.

Anxiousness and sadness started to fill her and the voices in her head started speaking.

"But-but-" Philip stuttered but the phone call already ceased, "Anong gagawin ko? (what am I gonna do?)" she cried as she scratched her head and groaned loudly as her eyes watered up.

She slowly banged her head on the wooden wall whilst she mourned for her job for a few hours before remembering that she hadn't canceled her flight.

"CRAP!" She howled and quickly checked her phone, scrolling through her device she gave it a second thought if she wanted to cancel it.

Then she just decided to leave it that way, since she's fired, she'll just go to North America. So she went to the local ATM and withdrew some money to take with her

Her hands shook as she slowly pressed her bank password, she didn't want to squander so much money but it was better than being guilty for life.

"I can't believe I'm doing this," she lamented as she pressed 'confirm'. Then a lot of money was transferred to her balance. Philip was a bit heart-wrenched, knowing she was wasting a lot of money and she just lost her job. "This better be worth it.".

She shuffled her way back home with many thoughts scattered across her head. She was busy considering the cons and pros.

Preoccupied by worries, she crashed into her front door. "Aray! (Ouch!)" she yelped, rubbing her head.

Grumbling as she opened the door, she looked at her luggage bag and put all the essentials in it. "Clothes, toiletries, money..." Philip said, "My meds...".

After spending a few hours putting everything in the luggage (that looked like it was about to burst), she then waited for her flight; which was tomorrow. Then she checked and double-checked AND triple-checked her luggage before finally being sure. Like, damn, woman, it's not like there's nothin' in North America.

.