Chapter 1

§—20 years ago—§

"Nakikita mo itong puno ng mangga?" Del asked as he held the 6-year-old Philip's hand as Martial ran around in their field.
(Do you see this mango tree?)

"Opo," Philip replied as she stared at the mango tree, "Ang punong ito ay espesyal..." he continued whilst memories of their father flooded into his head.
(Yes)          (This tree is special)

"Bakit?" Philip questioned, listening eagerly for his response, "Itinanim ito ni Itay para sa inyo ni Martial," he answered.
(Why?) (Father planted this for you and Martial)

"Talaga?" Philip bubbled as she gave off a wide and radiant smile as she walked towards the tree.
(Really?)

"Oo," Del said and then he looked behind him where a truck was waiting, "Aalis na ako," he sighed with grief as tears ran down the 18-year-old's face.
(Yes) (I'll go now)

"Martial," he called out, the boy heard it and scurried across the field, "Alagaan mo si, Philip para sa akin.".
(Take care of Philip for me)

Martial tilted his head, observing Del who was in a soldier's uniform, "Pakiusap...pangako mo sa akin..." Del sobbed before pulling his siblings into a tight hug.
(Please...promise me...)

"S-sige...?" Martial agreed, utterly confused by the action of his older brother.
(O-ok...?)

As Del's heart drowned in misery, he walked out of their field and walked into the truck.

What Martial and Philip didn't know, is that it was the last time they will ever see their brother ever again.

Tik-ti-la-ok!

The cock crowed as the sun showered the countryside with light.

Philip, now 26, got up drowsily as she stopped her alarm from ringing.

Right at that second, she dashed outside to check the mail, hoping to hear from her brother.

"Yes!" She beamed at the envelope and hastily opened it as she went back inside her house, "Sana umiwi ka na, (I wish you would go home,)" she wished as she slowly read it.

The big smile on her face melted when she finished reading the letter, "pasensya na pero 'di ko talaga kaya makauwi itong taon. Baka sa susunod na taon. Pangako —Martial" the last line read.
*Sorry but, I really can't go home this year. Maybe next year. Promise —Martial*

Philip's heart sank whilst she started to get ready for work as a nurse.

As she walked out of the field, she glanced at the cut down mango tree which was planted by their father for her and Martial before continuing on her way with a needle of pain poking through her heart.

As she walked out of her house, several thoughts started fogging her head, "Araw araw, palagi akong umaasa na babalik ka na...pero palagi isang pangakong napako,".
(Everyday, I always hope you'd come back, but it's always a broken promise)