don't listen to them

y/n age: 15

your pov

"y/n are you ready to go?" i heard my mom yell from downstairs.

i'm sitting in my room crying because i feel like the dress im wearing makes me look weird and im just uncomfortable in it. we are going to the grammys tonight and its me my mom and dad going. as i'm looking in the mirror and crying i hear a knock on my door and see my mom open it.

"y/n did you hear me?" my mom said. i turned around to face her.

"aww baby why are you crying?" she said. i walked over to her and she gave me a hug.

"i feel like i look bad in this dress" i say into her chest.

"baby you look absolutely beautiful!" she said. i gave her a small smile as i sniffled.

"your just saying that because your my mom" i say.

"no baby. really. you look amazing." my mom said as she rubbed my arm.

"do you still want to go?" she asked.

"yeah i just... i don't know how i feel about this dress" i said.

"well you look amazing and i can ensure you that it's the truth" she said. i smiled.

my mom helped me fix my makeup then we walked downstairs. tree and dad were sitting talking.

"you guys ready?" tree said. "wow y/n you look amazing!" tree exclaimed.

"thank you" i said quietly.

"see! i told you baby you look great" my mom said as she kissed my head.

"dad?... what do you think?" i said nervously.

"you look great y/n. both my girls look amazing!" he said as he wrapped us in a hug.

"alright enough lovey-dovey we have an award show to get to!" tree said as she clapped her hands. we all laughed.

when we got to the venue man was it crowded. this didn't help and i felt way more insecure.

"taylor you have to walk the carpet it's up to travis and y/n if they want to join you." tree said as she looked at her phone.

"i'll join you tay. y/n you wanna join?" dad said.

"um... i guess" i said.

"you don't have to if you don't want to baby" mom said.

"no i wanna" i said.

"alright. so you guys can stop for a few interviews if you want we have enough time" tree said.

"alright" mom said.

"i'll meet you guys on the other side" tree said.

"alright thanks tree!" mom said. tree flashed her a smile then began walking away.

we make our way over to the carpet. i can hear the shouting of the camera men and my anxiety is through the roof.

"you guys ready?" mom said. we nodded our heads and we stepped on the carpet.

i didn't know where to look so i just smiled and looked forward. as we were walking to the next stop at the carpet i heard one of the camera men say something.

"taylor. travis! how could you let your daughter wear a dress like that she looks like a slut!" a man screamed.

the flashes of the cameras stopped and everyone on the carpet and the camera people stopped to look at me. this was my worst nightmare. i just wanted to run away and cry but i couldn't.

i just looked around and everything was so quiet and everyone was staring at me. i felt my breathing quicken and i knew i was about to cry. so i stopped myself. i looked down at the ground and then i heard my dad say something.

"who the fuck do you think your talking to?" my dad say as he walked up to the barricade.

"travis leave it!" i heard mom say.

"no i'm not just gonna leave it tay. they want to fucking talk about my daughter like that. no way in hell." dad said angrily.

i saw tree run from one side of the carpet over to me and quickly get me off the carpet. she took me to a private room.

"you okay y/n?" she asked worriedly.

"i'm fine... i'm just gonna—um use the bathroom real quick" i said as my voice broke.

when i walked to the bathroom i looked in the mirror and examined myself. did i really look like a slut? i knew i shouldn't have picked this dress. i ruined my moms image. everything is going wrong.

my thoughts wouldn't stop spiraling and i ended up on the floor in the bathroom hyperventilating. as i was sitting there i saw aunt selena walk into the bathroom.

"y/n is that you?" selena said. i picked my head up out of my knees and made eye contact with her.

"why are you crying are you okay? where's your mom? your dad? tree?" she said quickly.

i couldn't answer my breathing wouldn't calm down.

"hey y/n look at me. just breathe you're okay" she said.

"it's not working" i say panicked.

"hey try and blow on my face" she said. as i tried to do it i felt my breathing slow down a little.

"see i knew you could do it" she said as she gave me a hug. "can you tell me what happened?" she asked.

"i-i-i was on the carpet with mom and dad and one guys shouted that i looked like a slut in this dress and then everything and everyone stopped on the carpet and looked at me and i was so embarrassed." i said as i softly sobbed.

"oh y/n i'm so sorry baby. that guys is a total asshole he doesn't know what he's talking about." she said. "where's your mom and dad? or tree?" she asked.

"i think they're still on the carpet and tree got me off the carpet but then i told her i was going to the bathroom so i don't know where she is" i said.

aunt selena wrapped me in a hug and rocked me until i stopped crying.

"you okay now?" she asked softly. i nodded.

"i want my mom" i said.

"okay i'll call her" she said.

as selena called my mom i picked at my nail and i couldn't stop thinking about my dress and how i looked. after she finished calling her she walked back over to me.

"she'll be here in a few minutes" she said.

"okay... um aunt selena?" i said.

"yeah?" she said.

"does this dress make me look... you know. like a slut?" i said quietly.

"no y/n it does not at all. in fact you look gorgeous. i don't know what that guy was thinking. you look amazing y/n" she said.

i returned her a smile. then my mom came into the bathroom and reassured me that everything was ok. we went back to the award show and everything was fine after the incident that happened. my dad still wasn't very happy though...