Chapter 10 - Defiance of Destiny

December 24th, Christmas Eve. Nishikata was walking at 9 AM through the streets of his neighborhood. The boy let out a yawn as he dragged his feet through the floor as snow fell upon him. The previous night hadn't been easy on him. He remembered waking up 4 times, and on two of them he had trouble falling asleep again.

The boy took out a piece of paper from his pocket and stared at it for a few moments. A list his mother had made, and she asked him to buy the items listed on it, as preparations for Christmas. Nishikata let out a groan as he read the contents from the list and continued walking.

As he passed in front of the intersection he normally met with Takagi, he was reminded of the reason for his nightly trouble, as if he had forgotten it at all. Nishikata was planning to confess to Takagi that day. They had agreed to go to the Center together, like they did last year. Nishikata still remembered all the fun they had the previous year on that same day. Giving her a present under the massive Christmas Tree and confessing to her as he did so, it was the perfect plan. He had finished his speech the night before, and ended up falling asleep as he revised it.

It wasn't long before Nishikata reached the local market, and he went through the corridors getting the items of his list. Until suddenly, a voice called out to him.

"Oh, Nishikata?"

"G-Good morning, Nishikata-Kun"

Nishikata turned around as he recognized the voices and their owners.

As he turned, he saw Nakai and Mano, side by side. Mano held one of Nakai's arms while the other held a basket with several items.

"Nakai, Mano-San" he said, greeting them "Good morning. What are you guys doing here?"

"Ah, just shopping a bit for Christmas, we were going to the cashier right now," Nakai said "The same for you?"

"Yeah, mom asked me to buy some things for tomorrow"

"That's a lot of stuff," said Mano, looking at the boy's list.

"Well, she and dad like to go all out for Christmas," Nishikata said, looking to the side with an annoyed expression.

Nakai chuckled, "Hahaha, that's cool. We're going to the mall afterwards." he stopped, and then he remembered something "Ah, Nishikata! I found that new game that just came out at a store in the mall. Do you want to come with us? I can show you where it is."

"U-Uuhhh..." Nishikata looked down at Mano, and her gaze at him had suddenly become sharp and menacing. "Actually, I have some plans after shopping here, haha" he chuckled nervously. That girl can be scary sometimes.

"Ah I see, are you gonna spend Christmas with Takagi-San?" Nakai said without hesitation.

"H-HUH??" Nishikata backed away a bit.

"N-Nakai-Kun!" Mano punched Nakai lightly on his side, and he wondered what was wrong.

"N-No, it's fine" Nishikata said, he looked to the side "W-We're going to the Center, to watch the Christmas Tree"

Mano gasped, "The giant Christmas Tree at the Center? After an intersection??" Nishikata nodded to that, and Mano placed her free hand over her mouth. She walked closer to Nishikata, bringing Nakai along with her "N-Nishikata-Kun, you like Takagi-Chan, right?" She said in a soft voice.

Nishikata was taken aback by her question, but he knew there was no point in hiding it anymore. His ears grew red as he cast down his head, and he nodded silently.

"Then" she said enthusiastically "You should confess under the Tree, Nishikata-Kun!" And Nishikata looked at her in shock, but before he could say anything, she added "It's said that if someone confesses their love under that Christmas Tree, they'll never be separated!"