43. ladies and gentlemen

"I don't understand."

"Because you're not watching," you roll your eyes at Camilo, who had been bothering you the whole night. "Pay attention."

"Uhm, no. I just can't get over the fact that she fell in love with her nephew?"

"She had amnesia!" Mirabel sighs, tired of explaining everything over again.

"Wait, I thought Garcia was the one with amnesia. The sporty one." Isabela frowns, confused.

"No, he pretended he didn't remember." Luisa shakes her head. She was very involved in Bruno's rat telenovela.

Luca and Leta were staying over in your newly finished house, and after watching one of you and Bruno's favourite silent movies, during which you and your uncle kept remembering the good old days, sharing inside jokes that were a dozen years old. It was kind of nostalgic for you, but it made you so happy. It was like concrete proof Bruno was really back.

After the movie, you all didn't know what to do, and none of you wanted to go to sleep -the other adults had all headed to their rooms to sleep, tired of the celebration, and Antonio had fallen asleep on Carlos' lap and nobody had the heart to wake him up just yet. Mirabel had mentioned Bruno's telenovelas, and everybody was quite eager to see the rat show, so Dolores had filled all of you in on the drama -Bruno's explanations were a mess, and your cousin had been listening to it for years.

There were those who were quick to understand and remember the different characters, and those who weren't. Camilo was one of them. Isabela kept mixing things up as well. Carlos was not interested and had fallen asleep, but Antonio had woken up and insisted on staying to translate what the rats were saying.

Luisa, on the other hand, absolutely loved the plot. Leta, Mirabel and you were successful in keeping up with everything. As for Luca...

"I'm lost," your boyfriend, whose side you had snuggled into and comfortably settled, whispers in your ear. You look up at him with narrowed eyes.

"You disappoint me."

He snorts and pokes your ribs. You click your tongue, discreetly elbowing his stomach. Luca grunts quietly, wrapping an arm around your waist and pulling you closer in a hug so you wouldn't be able to hurt him anymore. Your back leans on his chest as he rests his head on your shoulder, kissing your cheek first. You smile to yourself and relax, watching the rats act their hearts out and listening to Antonio's translation and the bickering of your sisters and cousins. You look around the room a bit, eyes falling on Bruno, who was comfortably sat on the couch, in between Mirabel and Carlos. He seemed so happy, so carefree for once.

Welcome back home, Tío.

"I brought snacks," Dolores sits back next to Leta at the edge of the sofa, setting a tray on your friend's lap so she can pick a few for herself and pass it on.

"Dolores, I love you," you mumble as the tray is passed around the room. You make sure to rob it from at least half of you and Luca's favourite snacks before it can get to Camilo and focus back on the rats.

"They're really good!" Leta leans closer to your ear, speaking in a low voice.

"They could become star actors," you nod approvingly.

-Three years later-

"Come on, guys! I thought you wanted to be famous? You're gonna have to put a bit more work into it!" You clap your hands once, and the rats turn to look at you. They looked truly magnificent up there on stage, but they still forgot some of the moves. "Tío, Antonio, the show's tonight. Can you help them practice a little bit?"