41. mustache

"Holà, niña."

"Hey Tío," you salute Bruno, who had randomly showed up for lunch at the Suarez house, warmly welcomed by Silvio. Apparently the two had gotten along well the night before, while your family was arguing about you being wrongly accused of being a thief.

This was probably the reason they let you sleep so late, by the way. They thought you needed to rest after such stressful events, not knowing about your small adventure with your cousins and sisters last night.

Luca, who needed more sleep than you, was groggily sitting in front of you, trying to bring his fork to his mouth and succeeding from time to time. He sometimes eyed you weirdly, making you frown.

After you fell asleep in the monkey patio, you were softly woken up by Carlos, then sneaked back up into your room with Luca and crashed into bed immediately.

You happily take a bite of your food.

"(Y/n), honey, why is there a mustache drawn in your face?" Carmen finally brings up the subject, and you understand why everyone had been staring at you expectantly. Also why Dolores, Camilo and Mirabel seemed like they were containing their laughter, and Luisa the truth, the night before.

You choke on your food. Bruno pats your back worriedly.

"I, uh, I thought I'd try the stache. Y'know, to see if it'd fit me."

"Oh," Carmen nods understandingly, and then goes back to eating. You send a death glare to Luca, who was now fully awake and biting his lower lip to hide a grin. This fucker.

"So, does it?" You add, watching their faces with attention.

"Hmm?" Bruno turns to you, trying not to let his eyes fall on the ridiculous drawing.

"Does the mustache fit me?" You look at him. He panics and scoffs.

"Errrh, uh, y-yeah! Of course, niña, of course. Stunning, isn't she?"

"Absolutely." Silvio approves.

"I agree," Carmen nods truthfully, then nudges Luca. "What do you think, mijo? Isn't your girlfriend looking beautiful?"

He can't help but let out a tiny giggle, watching your ironically beaming smile with sparkling eyes. "Yeah. You should definitely grow a real one."

"You're so dead," you murmur, not loud enough for him to hear, but you can tell he reads your lips.

"Uuuuuh," Bruno sets his fork down and speaks up. "Luca's your boyfriend?"

___

"Let me help you with that, (Y/n)!"

"Oh, (Y/n)! Here, I'll carry this for you."

"Young miss, do you need any help?"

"No, thank you," you politely smile at the old lady that proposed her help and go back to carrying your extremely heavy shovel towards the unreachable point that was the front door, about two meters away. "I think I can do it on my own."

The lady offers you a kind smile and a 'good luck'. You resume your walk towards your goal. There were some sews you had to plant at the front of the almost reconstructed house you had been working on for the last month.

Ever since the honey accident, many were those who had started being overly kind to you. At first, it made you laugh, but now it was a bit suffocating. Especially when a fragile looking woman proposed to carry a tool you easily lifted for you.