Chapter 99

Two more days passed after that. When we went to the gym, it was crowded with all other students from various dorms and years. I crinkled my nose. "Man, there are so many people..."

"Looks like more people are coming to the gym during lunch break to practice for the audition," Ace sighed next to me.

"Can't they just keep practicing where they were before," I grumbled.

Grim huffed from between Yuu's legs. "Are they aiming for the grand prize?! You're not getting my canned tuna!"

"I think they are more interested in their pro debut rather than the prize money...or your canned tuna," Jamil remarked.

"Oh yeah, there are people who actually care about that here," Yuu mumbled as they scanned the room. "Guess this is their big moment in their eyes..."

"Pro, huh?" Deuce pondered as he scanned around. He gulped, "Now that I look around, the competition looks pretty tough."

"Don't worry about everyone else. You all have been improving in your performance," Jamil complimented.

"Yeah guys. They aren't any of our concern!" I clapped my hands together. "We just need to get Mister Lavender out of the muck and have fun doing it!"

"You aren't those 'scared elephants' you were before," Jamil smirked.

I gave him a side glare at his backhanded compliment. "Your singing improved greatly as well! You worked super hard for this!"

"Yeah, yeah!" Kalim cheered. "You guys don't even sing off key anymore! Good job!"

I facepalmed. For two boys that are basically opposites, they sure do share a lot of habits in common. I could tell by Yuu's and the Adeuce combo's faces that there were mixed emotions on the bombardment of double-sided compliments. I sighed, "Let's just go through the song today. Top to bottom."

"Alright! Let's do this!" Kalim pumped up.

We found a clear corner for us to practice in and set to work running through the audition piece. We were in far better sync than when we first started. Grim kind of did his own thing in the center while the rest of us ran through the choreography. There wasn't much in the way of harmonies, but we still sounded pleasant enough.

When the song ended, Deuce let out a loud cry of triumph. "Alright! I was able to go through the whole song without missing a step or forgetting the lyrics!"

"Nyaha! Me too!" Grim jumped with joy. "I didn't step on my tail! Not even once!"

"You're doing great guys!" Yuu encouraged as they tried to catch their breath. They gave a thumbs up as they braced themselves on their knees.

"As expected from Jamil!" Ace gestured to his upperclassman. "You were able to help us learn the dance in short amount of time!"

"Right?! Right!" Kalim bounced in excitement. "Jamil is really super good at teaching in a way that's easy to understand! He's helped me for such a long time!"

"Ahem!" Jamil awkwardly cleared his throat. "That's enough..."

Yuu put a hand on my shoulder and gave me a soft smile. "You did a great job too," they quietly complimented. I smiled at them in return and placed my hand over theirs.

"Even though we taught you the basics, you have to keep practicing on your own for the audition.

"Jamil's right, we have to do our best," I placed my hands on my hips.

"On that day, we'll be rivals!" Kalim challenged. He still finished off with a cheery smile. "But, I wish you all the best!"

"It is on like Donkey Kong," Yuu chuckled as they cracked their wrists.