38. witch trial

"(Y/n), honey, are you up?"

You quickly sit up in your bed, eyes puffy and hair a mess.

"Yeah? Yeah, I'm totally up. I'll be there in a minute." You answer Carmen and try to make your way out of your bed in your dreadfully sleepy state.

Your feet tangled up in the sheets made you trip and fall head first onto the wooden floor. You land with a soft thud and a louder groan.

"Well, now I'm up." You shrug as you lay on the floor, looking at the ceiling. Eventually, you remember you had promised Carmen to be down in the kitchen in one minute, and you were starting to run out of time.

You dress up in less than two seconds (to be multiplied by sixty) and run down the stairs, almost bumping into Luca's father, who laughs at your panic.

"Easy, kiddo. No need to hurry, I think Luca's fallen back asleep as well."

"As well? I totally didn't fall asleep again. Nope, 've been up for a while."

He pats your shoulder with a knowing smile. "Sure. Well then, I'll go wake our sleepy beauty up."

"Right. Great."

You finish running down the stairs, even though you now knew you had no reason to hurry anymore; Luca was later than you, meaning you'd get to mock him.

Carmen was in the kitchen, so there you went, and she handed you lots of dishes you had to set on the breakfast table. There was always a lot to eat in the Suarez house, which you were used to since it was also the case in yours -when it was still standing, that is. What was new, though, is that there were only four of you, and that everything had to be eaten, so you'd always be full way before your plate was clear.

Plus, even though Carmen's cooking was excellent, you really missed your mom's. It was weird living in another family for so long. At least you'd get to discover all their strange habits.

Luca's father, Silvio, was a quiet man, but every time his wife started humming his favourite tune with a smug expression, he would break into a song and loudly serenade her, making her twirl around the dinner table under Luca's embarrassed gaze at your amazed claps.

Carmen was a fan of romantic novels, hence why she got along so well with Pepa. One evening, you'd go to sleep leaving her in her comfortable armchair, and in the morning you'd find her in the exact same spot, eyes red and barely awake, but still reading the same book.

Luca's habits while you were staying at his house seemed to consist of being embarrassed of his parents' behaviour and constantly making sure you weren't uncomfortable. After some time, it died down, even though once in a while he'd still cringe at his mother's antics or worriedly check up on you.

It was cute.

"Go sit and eat, honey." Carmen slaps your hand away as you reach for some cooking tool to help her prepare breakfast. "You've got a busy day coming."

You nod and go sit in your assigned chair, and as you fill your plate, you see Luca groggily walk down the stairs, looking all grumpy with his messy hair and scowling mouth.

You begin to smile, ready to make fun of his appearance.

"H-"

"Good morning." He says, and, without thinking, plants a kiss on your forehead as he passes by you.

You kind of freeze and blankly look at Carmen, who was in the process of going up to him to scold him for sleeping late, but was interrupted by the scene she had just witnessed.

Luca just innocently plops himself on the chair next to you, unaware of the impromptu staring contest you were having with his mother. Then, he frowns, eyes still half-open in his sleepy state, and looks at you, as if realising what he had just done. When he sees you're visibly staring at something else above his head, he turns around with a raised eyebrow, and lets out a quiet yet oddly high-pitched exclamation.