30. avocado

"So, before we get to the dining room, I think I should tell you that Dolores found out Bruno's vision is about me and I think she's going to tell everyone." Mirabel quickly whispers to you as you walk over to the room that was about to witness Isabela's perfect proposal.

"Uh." You sigh, processing the information. "Cool."

"Yes, (Y/n), so very c-"

"Girls, come on! Have a seat." Abuela nervously emerges from the dining room and motions you to hurry up with a tense smile. You give her an ok sign, nodding confidently. She rolls her eyes.

"Sorry, we were, uh, we were-"

Mirabel struggles to find a suitable lie as she settles down next to Isabela, and you in between her and your dad, who seemed extremely tense and kept stealing glances at Dolores, trying to hide his shaking fingers with the most obvious smile ever.

You place a comforting hand on his arm, discreetly doing the same ok sign you gave Abuela. He turns to you, understanding you knew about the situation, and you smile confidently, as if you knew what you were doing.

Oh, tonight was going to be a disaster.

In front of you, Carlos was eyeing you weirdly, wondering why in the world his two cousins were so late to an event that was so important to the family.

Ah, yes. Mirabel was still trying to explain this.

"I was asking for Mirabel's advice on... A little something I prepared for Isabela." You show everyone an innocent smile, perfectly knowing this unplanned surprise would annoy Abuela.

You could have sworn you heard her quietly whine. She was stressed enough about you and Mirabel's lateness. But she put on her best smile, and tried to show as much interest as the others.

Now you had to find something to give to Isabela.

Luckily, you had that something.

You had planned to give it to her later, after the proposal, because you knew how difficult tonight would be for her. But maybe doing it now would have more of an effect, even though different, on her.

That was meant to be sweet and sad, but fuck it.

You awkwardly stand up and make your way towards Isabela, not really knowing how to start. Your sister stands up as well, glaring at you. Not wanting you to do anything to ruin the night.

"Isa..." You say in a fake happiness that turned out to be much more ironical that you intended. Fortunately, most of them did not pick it up. "I don't think you remember, but one day, when I was still a child -because that was once the case- I was crying because I suddenly realized fairytales weren't real. Don't look at me like that, Mariano- wait you didn't know?"

Your joke makes everyone laugh, except Mirabel, your father, Dolores and Mariano, who had just discovered fairytales aren't real.

Isabela lets out a strangled giggle, and slightly flinches as you take her hand.

"You sat down next to me, and when I finally was calm enough for my words to make sense, you told me one thing. That fairytales did exist, but that they weren't like in the books I read. That you had to write your own story yourself, and that it was up to you to make it a marvelous tale if that's what you wished."

She squeezes your hand a little, her eyes telling you to stop, but you don't. This was your last chance to communicate with her before it was too late.

With your free hand, you reach for an object in your pocket. It was a pen, a pink pen decorated with small flowers. A young teenager's pen, a teenager who had no idea what the world had to offer, but was willing to see for herself.