flashback #3

"(Y/n) ! Come on, we're gonna be late for school !" Leta's voice pulled you out of your semi-awake state. You jumped on your feet and ran out of the kitchen to Casita's door, where your friend was waiting for you.

"Have a good day, (Y/n) !" Your Abuela gave you a smile as you passed by her, and you returned it. Casita opened the door for you, and Leta quickly motioned you to hurry. You chat on the way to school, making jokes about your friend's crazy aunt or Angela's last story.

Angela was the weirdo of your class. She was always telling stories that were obviously not true, so everyone knew not to believe a word she said. She was often alone.

You, on the other hand, had a fair number of friends and fit in quite well at school. Everything a thirteen-years-old could ask for.

Fast forward to the end of your school day, full of laughter and games. Your Tío Bruno came to pick you up with your favorite snacks, and you excitedly stood up from your seat, bid goodbye to your friends and dash out of the room to hug him. Oddly so, you feel like you're not really touching him, as if he wasn't really there despite your arms being around his neck. You brush that thought off, why would Bruno not be here with you ?

"Tío ! What are you doing here ?"

He chuckles warmly. Oh, you loved that sound more than anything.

"Eh, I thought you might have been hungry. Your sisters and cousins all finished earlier, so I grabbed this..." He hands you your snack, that you're quick to stuff into your mouth. "...and headed to school, because in no way can I let my niece starve to death in that terrible place."