15. the betrayal that ruined your clothes

"BOMB !" You heard Camilo's voice before you even reached your spot. Soon enough followed the splashing sound of your cousin's water bomb jump, and Mirabel's annoyed groans as most of the said water splattered her face.

"As you can hear, we're almost there." You sigh, making Luca giggle.

It was Sunday, and the perfect day to go swimming. Your friend had met you at your house, where you had agreed to meet at 3PM. Camilo, Dolores and Mirabel couldn't wait for so long, and you let them get ahead of you as Carlos gracefully offered to keep you company.

Truth was, he only wanted some calm before spending the rest of the afternoon trying to drown his brother. Most specifically, his twin. Antonio had waited with you as well, impatient to meet your new friend.

"I can't wait to go in the water !" Antonio squeals, making you tug on his arm. You were holding his hand tight already.

"You don't go anywhere your feet can't touch, kid. I'll be watching you."

He pouts, but that doesn't make you change your mind. He was literally four years old, and Pepa was stressed enough about letting him come along. It took a lot of sweet-talking from Félix.

Unfortunately, Luisa couldn't come, she was way too busy. If that made you sad, the fact Isabela declined the invitation somehow relieved you. It was a shame, but it was still tense between the both of you, and you weren't sure you could hide it in those circumstances.

"I'll watch him too, (Y/n). Don't worry." Dolores reassures you about Antonio, coming to you as you almost reach the spot. She probably heard you coming. "Tonito, come on ! Let's go swimming."

Your cousin runs to jump in his sister's arms, and Carlos also speeds up, now impatient to bathe in the cold water. He wasn't one to like the heat, and today was incredibly hot. Pepa didn't seem to want to reveal what made her frustrated, though.

You huff out, a bit tired from all that climbing. "Told you it's quite isolated." You smile at Luca as he stops for a second to wipe some sweat off his forehead. "But the sight is worth it."

"I believe you." He pats your shoulder as he overpasses you. "Which is why I can't wait to be there yet."

You watch Antonio, Carlos and Dolores disappear between the trees, and consider following them before remembering you had planned to show Luca the true sight of your spot. It would be a shame if he didn't see it.

"Come on, let me show you the way." You walk up to him as you see him hesitate on where to go.

You soon reach the small boulder you were used to climb to access the hidden sight. Luca looks at it, blinks, and turns to you.

"I have acrophobia, I fear."

You blink as well, taking in the information, before facepalming. "Shit ! I should've asked you. Didn't even think of that."

"Hey, that's alright. It doesn't even look that high, I'm sure I can do it." He laughs, slightly nervous.

"You sure ? Because it's just-"

"Nah, I don't want all that climbing to go to waste. Come on, show me the way..."

And so you go first, making sure to point out every hold you use to make it as easy as possible. The boulder was just about three meters, but still, Luca's fear of heights seemed pretty strong. You didn't realize it could even be a problem, too used to climbing up there all the time.

By the time he had almost reached the top, he was shaking quite heavily, and you grabbed his hand as soon as you could reach it and pulled him up, sparing him the last few difficult holds.