12. small sacrifice

"(Y/N), SERIOUS BUSINESS, YOU'RE GONNA BE LATE FOR SCHOOL !" Agustín, still in his pajamas, bursts the bathroom's door open, visibly panicking.

"Mièrcoles." You snap out of the trance waking up in the morning to go to school had put you in and realize you have been staring at your reflection in the mirror for the last ten minutes. At least your face was entertaining.

"YES, YES, YOU GOTTA HURRY !" He grabs your shoulders and pushes you out of the room towards the kitchen, where he sits you down and attempts to shove an arepa down your throat. You grab it before he can accidentally make you choke on your food and devour it in a few bites.

"Where are the others ?"

"Left minutes ago thinking you went before them again." Agustín hisses as he bumps into the corner of the table when he tries to handle you a glass of fresh orange juice.

You often did that, indeed. Leaving before Mirabel and the twins so that you would reach school without them and they wouldn't suspect anything. But that wasn't your plan for today. However, being late wasn't on your schedule either.

"Thanks, dad." You chug down your glass, hiss as you bump your hip in the exact same corner of the table your dad had less than a minute ago, and run back up the stairs to the bathroom to quickly brush your teeth. You wince at the taste of orange juice mixed with mint toothpaste, but don't have enough time to waste to complain. When you slide back down the stairs Casita changed into a ramp for you, Agustín is already waiting by the door, your bag in hand. You quickly snatch it, as well as the jacket he immediately hands you after that -it was quite cloudy, Pepa must be having some nightmares-, and kiss his cheek goodbye.

"Thank you, dad. See you !"

"Have a good day at school, mija !" He waves at you while you run towards school, trying hard not to bump into anyone. When he decides he's watched you long enough, he wipes invisible sweat off his forehead, glad he managed that crisis without setting the house of fire. He wouldn't want to lose the mornings he spent preparing breakfast for the house's students with some leftovers from Julieta. He liked this responsibility, and seeing Mirabel and the twins make fun of your sleepy face every day.

"Phew." He sighs, satisfied. "Once again, Agustín saves the day. Good job."

___

"And, as I was saying, once again, (Y/n)'s late. See how much of a good student she is..." Angela's high-pitched voice assaults you as soon as you open the classroom's door. You didn't even know what she was talking about, you were always here earlier than her, and even today, you managed to arrive before the teacher. You wonder how someone didn't call bullshit on her already.

You had never ran so fast in your life, by the way. You rolled your eyes and simply headed towards your seat, still panting.

Then, you comfortably sit in your chair and take in the situation.

Angela and Jose were talking to someone, who you couldn't see clearly because of the crowd of students that surrounded them. You could easily guess who it was, though -and, sure enough, you were quick to notice Luca's gaze on you as your classmates cleared the way for him to see who Angela was talking about-.

You give them a little salute, considering winking before realizing it would probably be too much for your poor classmates' hearts. Not that they liked you, just that the simple gesture of bringing your hand to your forehead to greet them made them flinch. They weren't used to you acknowledging them.

"Ugh... Creepy." Angela winces, putting a hand over her chest as if she just had an attack.

In fact, she did, a small one, because it was the first time in years you had answered. This obviously meant something had changed, and she found it strange and slightly threatening to the underworld of intertwined lies she had built her kingdom on.