05. breakfast is the most important meal of the day

"(Y/n). (Y/n), if you don't wake up right now, I don't guarantee your survival."

Oh, hearing Camilo say that to you on a Saturday morning only meant one thing. You sit up straight, just in time to fall out of bed to dodge the bucket of freezing water Carlos was throwing at you.

"Not funny ! Carlos, fuck off, with all my respect for you which is already not much. Casita !" You groan at the house for letting the twins enter your room, especially Carlos. The fifteen-year-old just flashes you a wicked smile as Camilo helps you up from the hard floor you just fell onto -it was, in fact, not hard at all and very comfortable as you had imagined it in the split second it took you to realize you were falling-. Your door simply opens miserably, Casita telling you it didn't really have a choice.

"Wake up, prima. It's 7AM, time to do your chores." Carlos informs you before Camilo pushes him out of the room, giving your sleepy form an apologetic but amused smile.

You quickly dress up and head to the patio, where everyone was already having breakfast. Pepa was in a good mood today, meaning it was sunny and warm outside. It didn't stop a cloud from hovering over her head as she groggily reached for her cup of coffee over the table. You pass it to her on your way to the main table, grabbing a glass of orange juice and some arepas in the process, earning a smile and a small rainbow from her.

Almost instinctively, you activate your gift, creating the best atmosphere for each of your family members. A brighter sun for Isabela, the sound of birds singing for Antonio, the feeling of a small breeze for your father. He couldn't feel it, of course, your illusions weren't solid, but the movement of the wind in the trees and the grass was enough to make him sigh in satisfaction as soon as you imagined it.

You sit next to your mother, who gives you a kiss on the cheek and tries to brush your still tangled bed hair with her fingers. It works, more or less. On the other side of you, Antonio takes places, not forgetting to flash you one of his adorable smiles. You answer with a playful wink, to which he giggles.

"Family !" Abuela suddenly exclaims, startling you like every morning. "As the caretakers of the Encanto, we..."

She continues her usual speech, from which you had gotten tired long ago. You and Mirabel exchange bored looks from over the table, and you can see Carlos roll his eyes and try to discreetly start eating before she's done. In the end, she gives you your chores of the day, and, as usual, it was nothing too exciting for you. Helping Camilo and Carlos take care of the kids, avoiding the use of your gift.

The rumors Angela started about you eight years ago didn't come from her seven-years-old brain, her parents were the firsts to bring up that hypothesis, and the accident on that day did not help your case at all. So yes, there were lots of people in town that thought your gift wasn't any good and that you were basically just a manipulative liar.

You liked to think you didn't mind, but you had the principle to never lie to yourself. Ironic, isn't it ? You had taken that pace once, you were about fourteen, and started living in a small illusion for a while, so you had started to struggle keeping in touch with reality. It was beautiful, and you were so happy at the time, but when reality hit you, it hurt too much, and you felt like you had been sleeping for a long time. So you stayed in the real world, despite being tempted countless times to ignore your problems. They always came back anyway.

As everyone starts chatting around the table, quickly eating their breakfasts so that they won't be late to do their chores, you notice Luisa isn't devouring her food as she usually does. She was always hungry in the morning, and, as she often said, 'breakfast is the most important meal of the day'. But today, she was playing with her food, looking rather gloomy.

You were just in front of her, and couldn't really talk to her without catching everyone's attention, so you gently nudged her foot with yours under the table and gave her a questioning look as she gazed at you. She immediately gave you a confident smile and started eating as if everything was fine, but you could tell she definitely seemed tense.

You shrug it off, she didn't seem to want to talk about it, and decide to tell Pepa about Carlos trying to wake you up with a shower of cold water. Thunder is heard from afar as you see her frown slightly, glaring at her son who was still innocently chatting with Dolores, unaware of what was coming. It is only when Dolores changes expression hearing Pepa sigh exasperatedly that he realizes something was wrong.

"Carlos !" Pepa exclaims, trying to control her cloud. "What did we say about waking up (Y/n) ? Ah, Dios mios, I should have known when you insisted on being the one to wake her up..."

"Calm down, mi vida, calm down- Not cool, Carlos." Félix helps his wife by hugging her side while glaring at his son, who himself glares at you for snitching on him. You smirk and raise your glass at him, making him sigh in defeat, his messy hair falling over his eye again as he leans back into his chair.

Now you just had to enjoy the drama. Camilo quite enjoyed the scene too, giving you a thumbs up from his seat beside his twin. Mirabel gave you a 'really ?' look before going back to watching Carlos get scolded with great interest. Even your father follows the exchange with attention, faking not to be too affected by the amusing situation.

But this moment is interrupted by Abuela, who loudly places her glass back on the table and stands up to dismiss the family. "Alright, everyone ! We do not want a storm coming. Our community is counting on us. La Familia Madrigal !"

"La Familia Madrigal !" You all repeat after her before splitting up. You join Camilo on his way down the hill while Carlos trails behind, to the market place where parents usually waited for him with their kids so that they could browse the market peacefully.

Carlos and you weren't really acknowledged by anyone, he was scary and only allowed to take care of the kids under the condition he would not teach them his 'evil ways', and you didn't really matter. Sometimes, you would use your gift to tell stories to the kids, but their parents couldn't now, or else some of them would forbid them to approach you.

On the one hand, it was cool being seen as the evil witch of the town. On the other hand, well, you had no friends. Except for your family, of course, especially Carlos with which you were bound to spend lots of time due to both of your reputations. He was a great companion, a bit too playful, but overall you couldn't complain.

It's just, sometimes, you really missed life before Bruno left.

___
words : 1238

note : what do you think of the story so far? I wanna know if you enjoy it :)

also I have passed my big exam today and I think I failed, but whatever, it's philosophy anyway so there's probably a philosopher out there that thinks I'm right 😃

much love<3