Chapter 10 - A New Journey Begins

Nishikata sat at his desk and looked down at his phone, it was barely 8:00am. He still had a number of hours to go before he needed to pick up Takagi-san. For some reason, he was more nervous about today than any other outing he'd taken her on. This was their first official date as a couple.

There was no denying the fact that it was actually a date, either. He couldn't help but wonder how things were going to change between them now that they were a couple. How was he supposed to act?

Was she still going to tease him?

He chuckled at that thought. Of course she was. Why did he even think otherwise? There was no way she would stop the teasing now that they were a couple. In fact, she might even tease him more.

He shook his head wryly at the thought and swiped open his phone. He needed to stop thinking about Takagi-san. Why was she making him so nervous? They'd both confessed now so this should be the easy part, right? So why did he feel as if the hard part was just beginning?

He looked through the Line messages from yesterday and began saving all the photos of him and Takagi-san. Yukari had taken so many of them. She seemed to have a strange obsession with romance and couples. There were even some candid shots of him and Takagi-san that he hadn't realised were being photographed. There was one in particular that surprised him the most. It was taken at the end of the night during the fireworks. He thought no one had noticed they'd slipped out. She must have followed them.

He smiled wryly. This wasn't the first time Yukari and her friends had tailed them. He blushed as he recalled the time Takagi-san had made him hide behind an electricity pole with her to avoid them. She'd pressed herself so close to him that he had found it difficult breathe. He hadn't been fully aware of his feelings at the time, but thinking back on it now, he realised why he'd been so bothered by it.

He looked back at the photo

He looked back at the photo. It was really well taken. She'd shot it at just the right moment, too. It showed him and Takagi-san looking at each other just as the fireworks were ending. The finale had the brightest fireworks of the show, and they illuminated the background. It was probably the moment she'd confessed, he realised.

He suddenly had an idea. He turned his phone off and headed out the door. The Library should be open by now and it was the best place to print off the photos he wanted. He had just under 4 hours to put his plan into action and he hoped Takagi-san would like it. For once, he'd be using his arts and crafts expertise for something other than creating a jack-in-the box. He hoped this would be one surprise that would actually work.

***

Takagi-san was in her room, nervously looking at the door as she tried to concentrate on a manga she'd borrowed from Sumire recently. She glanced at the time. It was already noon. Nishikata was late. Where was he? They'd said around noon, but she'd thought he would have been here earlier rather than later. He was the type to show up early, just as he had the other day for their date at the Aquarium. What was taking him so long? It was now 5 minutes past noon.