Chapter 9 - What Now?

When they got off the bus, Sumire said her goodbyes and left with Sakurai who'd offered to walk her home.

Nishikata turned to Takagi-san and grasped her hand as they too began to head off.

"Hey, Nishikata," Takagi ventured. "Can we stop by the shrine on the way home? I want to talk for a bit before we say goodnight."

"Sure," Nishikata agreed readily, wondering what she wanted to discuss.

When they arrived, he followed her around to the back and sat down next to her in the same spot they'd been in last night.

He looked over at Takagi shyly, suddenly very aware that he was sitting alone in the dark with his new girlfriend. It was definitely going to take some time to get used to their new relationship.

"You wanted to talk about something?" Nishikata ventured.

"Not really," Takagi admitted quietly. "Nothing specific. I just kind of didn't want the day to end is all..."

Nishikata's eyes widened in realisation, and he felt a warmth reach his cheeks. "I see. Me too. A lot's happened, huh?"

"Yeah," Takagi agreed shyly. "I never thought we'd finish up the day as a couple."

"Me neither," Nishikata replied. "I don't really know where we go from here, or what we're supposed to do," he admitted.

"Mm," Takagi nodded. "Same here. You're my first boyfriend after all."

Nishikata reddened at the word and looked down at the ground. He was never going to get used to this.

"You're my first g-girlfriend," he replied in kind.

They both looked up at each other and then quickly looked away. The air between them was becoming more and more awkward.

They sat there in silence for a while, until Takagi-san finally spoke.

"So, um, what did you wish for at the fountain?" Takagi asked. "It must've been a really good wish, since you were able to get both coins in."

Nishikata could feel his heart racing. He was so embarrassed. He didn't want to admit what he'd really wished for.

"I don't remember," he avoided the question.

"I bet you do," Takagi insisted. "It's not something you'd forget."

"Really, I don't remember," he insisted.

Takagi giggled. "I can tell when you're lying you know," she pointed out. "Is it something you can't talk about? Is it that embarrassing?

Nishikata shook his head. "I told you I can't remember."

"And I told you I know you're lying," she reached over and poked him in the ribs playfully. "I'm gonna poke you every time you lie."

Nishikata sighed. He knew she would do it too.

"Fine, okay, you win. I wished I could make you happy, okay? Satisfied now?" He crossed his arms and looked away in embarrassment.

Takagi froze and inadvertently gasped for breath. "Damn Nishikata," she whispered hoarsely under her breath. "You don't play fair, do you?"

Nishikata uncrossed his arms and turned towards Takagi-san. He met her gaze shyly and was surprised to see a blush reaching her cheeks. He didn't know how to respond.

"In that case," Takagi continued. "I might have to take my prize."

"What prize?" Nishikata asked curiously.