Chapter 12

Chapter 12: Turn It down

After their cozy and dream like moments. It was time to face reality again.

Laticia left the Casa and made her way to where she thinks were her older cousin is. The place where she could hear everything more properly with less pain on her ears, on the top of the hill.

"Dolores," Laticia softly called towards her cousin who staring at their town with neutral expression.

Dolores turn around and smiled at her cousin. "It's weird," The girl said. her voice louder than usual.

Laticia noticed this and bit her lower lip thoughtfully.

"Are you trying to get used to it?" Laticia softly asked causing the girl to laugh.

"We both know this peace won't stay long."

Laticia smiled softly and sat beside her watching the town. "Why did you do it?"

Dolores softly laugh and sigh, "We both know you already knew the answer to that question,"

"Then let me replace it," Laticia started and look up at the older girl, "Do you regret it?"

Dolores paused and smiled before shaking her head. "I don't,"

"Mirabel is bound to know about the miracle, so does the whole family. Tio Bruno's vision was never wrong, I just made everything progress faster." Dolores didn't talk for a few seconds before continuing.

"The voices aren't there, and the place seems more peaceful than the usual. I want to get used to this, I want to feel this peace a bit more. But..." Dolores trailed before smiling sadly.

"Is it back?" Laticia asked, and Dolores softly held her ear and nodded.

"it's back. I wish everything... everything would just turn down." Dolores whispered her sad expression slowly went back to its usual, neutral.

Their surrounding change and the cousins found themselves in the middle of gossiping townsfolk.

"So, did you hear about the other day?" One of the townsfolk said causing Dolores to stare and listen.

"They say the family is in dismay,

I heard that everything was not okay." And another from opposite site said to the person in front of him.

"The house might even fall, and then decay," Another townsfolk said.

The scenery changed and the pair saw a door, they entered and was greeted by stairs leading downstairs. They descended and stared at the doors on each sides of the stairs, all of them were showing figures of people.

"What do I do about this future sight?

Don't want to give the people any fright." A big door opened revealing Abuela Alma staring at the magical candle, The pair continued descending listening to the others.

"Need to find Bruno just to make things right Unless we wanna fall by candle light" They saw Mirabel running in a hurry.

"Through doors and through the cracks

I always listen but never act And though I wish that I could just turn it back

The rumors speeding through a narrow track

Everything is way too loud

The roar of whispers in every crowd

I'm sick of all the noise right now

Oh, can someone please just turn it down?" Dolores said while listening at the others, her expression were filled with exhaustion.

"Candle, won't you just keep burning bright?

The prophecy won't be our demise (keep it down)

Clear blue skies, no rain, just shine If we stick together, we'll be alright (ohh)

I can hear your fear I can make them disappear (turn it down)

There are secrets I won't tell

Not unless they break the spell," Dolores silently plead and her feet quicken on descending. Laticia followed worried at her cousin.

"And you could hear it through the casa's halls

A crack and scurry coming from the walls

So, can we answer to the future's call?

Or will we end up losing it all?" They saw Camilo with a scared expression on his face staring at Antonio before walking away. Antonio notice it and followed.

"Why couldn't she just shut her mouth tonight?

She ruined everything, just out of spite" Then there was Isabela with a sad and pissed expression. 

"Oh no, my power's fading by the day

The pressures sinking in, I can't run away." And the Luisa crying in agony.

"Through doors and through the cracks I always listen but never act 

And though I wish that I could just turn it back

The rumors speeding through a narrow track

Everything is way too loud

The roar of whispers in every crowd

I'm sick of all the noise right now

Oh, can someone please just turn it down?" Dolores hands covered her ears as she desperately walks downstairs away from the doors and whispers and the she paused at a certain emitting green light.

"Feeling like I'm always just barely there 

Only a shadow, and it's never fair."Their Tio Bruno said with helpless expression. Dolores stared worriedly at her tio and Laticia doing the same before deciding to further walk down, only to fell on emptiness space. 

"The volume's growing, don't wanna know

what's going on at all Not anymore." The whispers were loud and various of voices were mixed, silhoettes of people could be seen around the void. And Laticia could feel herself starting to get frustrated and annoyed.

"I'm at my final straw

My power's hardly a blessing at all

Heeding to everybody's call Is there a line that I can draw?" Dolores said in desperation her hands covering her ears tighter.

"Everything is way too loud

The roar of whispers in every crowd

I'm sick of all the noise right now

Oh, can someone please just turn it down?" The pair found themselves in the middle of the people whispering louder than ever. The voices continued to irritate their ears.

"Turn it down Oh-oh-oh-oh

Can someone please just turn it down?

Oh-oh-oh-oh Turn it down

Can someone please just turn it down?" Dolores pleaded and beg but her wish wasn't fulfilled causing the female to lower her hands in defeat and succumb to the loud voices of the people.

The music ended but the annoyance and frustration Laticia is currently feeling is still there. The girl couldn't help but frown in sadness and anger.

"If my gift become stronger, I can imagine their mouth sewn shut forever," Laticia commented after a long silence causing the girl to laugh.

"Don't, Abuela won't like," Laticia could only pout angrily.