chapter eighteen

That's almost the same shit that happened ten years back. Just that I were on crutches. And Peter were there.

I wondered if he had told Erik that he is Peters father.
Hopefully. God I missed him so much. Then I snapped back to reality.
"What is this?", I asked.

"News....", mom said angry, "Exactly ten years ago they decided that mutants are heroes. But they aren't."

A slight anger formed in me and caused a weird feeling in my stomach. I think if my mom continues saying such things, my anger will explode.

"You see him?", she said and pointed on Erik, "That is what mutants are like. They are all the same. Nothing but monsters."

My anger grew a lot after she finished the sentence. "Just like your 'friend' Peter.", she said.
That was enough.

"He is not a freak!", I yelled, "We are not freaks!"
"What's your problem now...?", she said and stood up.

"I am one... don't you get it?", I yelled, "I am a mutant." "Funny...", mom said.
"You don't believe me..."

"I would know if my own daughter was one of these monsters." "We aren't monsters!", I said.
Then I somehow caused that all the windows in the room broke and a strong wind blew in.

My mom was shook.
She looked scared and tried to keep a big distance between us. Every time I got closer she moved nearer to the wall.
"Y-you....", she stuttered full of fear.

"Get out!", she screamed.
"What?"
"Get out, monster. Or I'll call the cops."

I stared at her. She really was about to do that. "You should get arrested. You deserve it, just like your little mutant boyfriend Peter.", she said, "Freaks!"

That crossed the line. The word freaks repeated itself in my head for over a thousand times. "We...", I said. I couldn't control my emotions anymore.
I didn't knew what I was doing.

My hands shook. "Are not....", I added. "Freaks!", I yelled finally. I closed my eyes. Now I couldn't control my powers anymore. I just... let them out.

A bright light surfaced briefly and I could feel slight warmth on my skin. Then a crack noice echoed threw the building.

I carefully opened my eyes. All I saw was dust, fire that burned down the whole building and a big hole in the wall. I couldn't see my mom. Only burned ash... Shit... what did I just do?

Without overthinking it, I left all things on their own, grabbed my jacket and ran away.

After I've left the building, I could see that almost the whole house was broken now. That was me.
People probably died. Including my mom, for sure.
Because of me.

I could hear sirens.
Someone called the cops or the fire service.
Cars stopped in front of me and men were trying to put out the fire.

A few more people, like neighbours and people on the move assembled beside me. The cops started to talk some of them. But the most we're looking constantly at me.

They looked confused. Especially after one of the firefighters came out of the building and said he couldn't find any survivors yet.

I briefly looked at the house. Then I just ran away.
I didn't know where. Just straight forward, away from the cops, the fire and people who thought "how did she survived?"

I was running quick for my usual speed. I didn't thought, I just ran. Like one and a half kilometre.
I couldn't stop before I was out of reach from that house.

After a while I was out of breath and stopped beside a big road. I glanced to the other side of the street. A bus stop... perfect.

I ran over the street. Lucky for me, each ten minutes there was a bus. Just like now. A big coach stopped in front of me and opened the doors. A coach would probably drive longer than normal buses and would take me farther away.

The people in the bus stared at me like I was crazy. Then I realized that I probably looked kinda burned and dirty. I smiled briefly and looked at the driver.
"Hey... uh, a bus ticket please.", I said like a total idiot. I rummaged a crumpled dollar out of my jacket and gave it to the driver.

He smiled awkwardly. So did I.
Then I went slightly to a seat in the last row. It was empty there. After I sat down I closed my eyes and tried to sleep. I didn't know why but I didn't slept well the last few nights and I was pretty tired.

I also didn't knew where I was going right now.
I only knew one place, where I was save.
But this was going to be a very long way.

I opened my eyes again. It was bright but raining pretty hard. I turned to my left. A old man sat there and was reading his newspaper. I glanced at him and tried to speak to him, "Uhm... excuse me sir, what time is it?"

"11 am...", he said.
"Thanks and uh... where are we?", I asked.
"Portland...", the man said kinda annoyed.
"Portland? That's perfect uh.... Does this bus stops in near of Washington?"

The man just nodded. Then he stood up and sat down on a seat far away from me. Rude....

I sighed and looked out of the window.
Portland isn't that big right? How long could take the rest of the drive? Four hours?

It actually took like five and a half. Bad curfew...
But it felt like seven or eight. Just sitting in the bus and staring out of the window, without music, nice people and just with thoughts about what just happened and what comes couldn't have felt less.

The bus doors opened and I got out. I knew the surrounding. Not so good but I was here like five times. And I could easily reach my goal by foot now.
Just unlucky it was still raining.

On my way I began to act nervous. How could I knew what to say or how to act then... I haven't been here since ten years. I don't know if everyone is living in the same houses anymore.

Then my thoughts got back to yesterday. Cops were probably after me... That house was totally broke. And I killed people... Including my own mother.
How do I even dare to walk in the streets like a normal human right now...?

Mom was right. I was a monster. Nothing but a danger. But now I needed to go to the only save place I knew.

I knocked on a black door. My heart began to beat faster than ever before. I was so nervous that I couldn't breathe normal anymore. I looked at my feet. I didn't dare to look up.

The door opened.
"Y/n?"
God, I missed that voice.
I slightly glanced up.

Peter stood in front of me. I looked in his maroon eyes. He looked just like he did ten years ago. Nothing changed but the hair. It was kinda grey... not silver anymore.

Then I just started crying. I couldn't deal with anything in this moment anymore. Peter looked as confused as never before. I immediately hugged him. 
He slightly hugged me back.

~1226