01. a gift for the family

"Eat something, (Y/n)." Your mother, Julieta, hand you a freshly cooked arepa. Five-years-old you carefully takes it, bringing it to your mouth while sighing.

"She's so nervous." Isabela laughs at you, making you frown even more.

"I'm not !" you argue, trying to stop your hand from shaking as you stand up to prove your point. Your nine years old sister is still taller than you, though, making the scene seem rather comical.

"Yes, you are."

"I am not."

"Hey, (Y/n) !" Luisa pats your shoulder with a smile. "It's okay to be nervous about this. I was too, and so was Isabela."

"What ?" Isabela exclaims, not believing her seven years old sister would betray her like that. They start bickering about who was more nervous while you sit back down at the kitchen's table, peacefully finishing your arepa.

You didn't like today. Your Abuela made you wake up early so you could help decorate, but nobody let you do so. So you got charged with distracting the kids, Mirabel, Camilo and Carlos, under Pepa's intense watch. She didn't let you do much, too anxious something would happen to you on your fifth birthday, so you just sat and told the three years olds a bunch of stories, mimicking the moves of a fighting warrior or a terrified monster. You were good at this, imagining things. For a five years old, that is. You had some skills in expressing yourself and an endless imagination.

And you were growing slightly nervous, seeing everyone making a big deal out of it. The gift you had longued to get for the last weeks was now your worst nightmare.

Lost in thoughts, you jump when a weight is felt on your knees. Mirabel is tugging on your dress, asking for you to carry her. You give her a small smile, picking her up with difficulty and placing her on your lap. She giggles and takes your face in her small hands, squeezing your cheeks.

"(Y/n)... Don't worry."

You laugh back at her, ruffling her hair and making her squeal. "Alright, Miraboo."

"Good." She nods aggressively, then struggling to try and get off your chair without help. You set her down, and she runs to Agustín, your father, for another hug. He picks her up and spins her around with a big smile, making her laugh. His warm gaze then settles on you and he gives you a wink, trying to reassure you.

"(Y/n)." A quiet voice catches your attention, and you look down to see Carlos, hiding something behind his back.

"Hola, Carlos. What's up ?"

He doesn't say a word, instead handing you what he was hiding. It was a sheet of paper, no, a drawing. You could recognize Casita, him, Camilo, Mirabel and you. Above the house was a giant cloud in which was clumsily drawn a red dragon. You acknowledge it as one of the characters from the story you were telling them earlier.

"Happy birthday." The three years old fidgets with the curls that fell before his eyes nervously. You gently brush it away from his face.

"Thank you, Carlos. It's very pretty. I'll put it in my room."

His face lit up slightly as he gives you a proud smile. He nods. "Camilo stepped on it, so it's dirty here." He shows you the spot with a scowl. "But I didn't want to restart it. The dragon was too hard to do."

You laugh. "This one is amazing. You're a true artist."

He was about to thank you when an overly exited child pushes him aside, hugging you and kissing your cheek. Camilo laughs as you make a confused face, trying to proceed what just happened. "Happy birthday, prima ! I love you."