Chapter Thirty-Three

They had moved to the private study attached to the library, hidden behind a bookcase, Diavolo throwing up a barrier to not only keep others out but to keep them in. His aura pulsed with his anger, a warning for others to stay away. Kagome sat next to him, his thigh brushing against hers yet otherwise no other contact was made between them. Across from them sat Lucifer, his gaze on the table that separated them. Next to him sat Satan, his body a bit hunch over as he rubbed his still throbbing throat. Had he been a lesser demon he had no doubt he would have been dead by now.

This was a fact that they all knew.

The tension in the air between them was palpable, far worse then when Kagome had first arrived the night before.

Tempers had flared, possessive tendencies and jealousies had been stoked to life...

Lines crossed.

Trust tested.

Kagome gazed at her hands, her fingers twitching as she played with the hem of her skirt, a nervous habit from before her feudal fairy tail had begun. One of the last quirks left over from the innocent young girl she had once been.

"Well, I guess I should go first...have any of you heard of the jewel of four souls?" She paused, waiting to see if they showed any sign of recognition.

All three males perked up at the mention of the magical jewel, all those of demon and angelic origin knew of the bablue. To Demons it was a tale of caution, many had fallen to its siren song of power and freedom. To angels it was an example of the folly of humans and demons alike, of how easily they were corrupted.

"Well, I was born with it inside of me...well reborn is a better term..." She dived into her tale, telling them of her feudal fairy tail, glossing over nothing. Honestly it had happened so long ago that it truly did feel like a fairy tail from a time long ago...

"It was during this time that I met the spirit of a human girl, her name was Mayu, she had died thinking her mother had let her die in favor of saving her younger brother...she was so full of anger and hate...it summoned a soul piper..." She gave a small smile at the gasp that left Satan's lips.

"Of course I inserted myself, did my best to save her soul, she was a child...she was scared and alone and I couldn't let her get dragged to hell...so I saved her...but in doing so I cost the soul piper his prey which upset his boss." She gave a small chuckle recalling the first time she had met Satan.

"Satan showed up out of the blue, anger hidden behind a friendly smile as he tried to figure me out. Of course I saw it simmering just under the surface, in no time we were yelling at each other, one thing led to another, I'd cost him a demon minion and a human soul. There was a price to be paid...and thus I made a pact with him, a soul for a soul." She gave a light laugh.

"I was so stupid back then, feeling bad for doing what I thought was right even though it affected someone I'd never met in a bad way I let that guilt bully me into making a pact. Not that I regret it! Just that looking back I bet you thought I was stupidly navive." She shared a small smile with the blonde before returning her gaze back to neutral ground.

"He didn't really bother me much, just had me track down and buy rare books for him he couldn't get in the Devildom, he also left cats at my doorstep much to mama's and Buyo's annoyance..." Buyo did not like having all those other kittens and cats moving in on his territory yet he allowed it if only to keep the peace.

Daivolo blinked, that did not sound like the typical demon human pact, normally it was the demon who acted like the servant not the other way around. Sensing his confusion she let out another light laugh. "Not your typical pact right? Well, I'm not a typical human in case you havent noticed...anyway I guess the novelty wore off and his demands became farer in between, plus as we grew close to the final battle I spent less and less time in the 'modern era', eventually he just stopped contacting me."

Satan nodded to himself, he recalled that he grew annoyed with her ignoring his requests and decided that she was no longer as dependable or as useful as she had been and would let their contract snuff itself out when she died of old age.

"The closer the final battle came the more I let myself accept the fact that I might not make it back so I said my goodbyes and went to war."