Prologue

The sounds of nighttime in a Colombian cloud forest could be heard: the birds, insects, and nature. And Within this place stood a house known as Casa Madrigal.

In one of the rooms of Casa Madrigal, An elder woman spoke softly towards a girl with curly hair and a pair of glasses on her face.

"Abre los ojos, Open your eyes." The elder said, full of warmth, nurturing, and intimacy.

The light of a candle reflects in her oversized, green-rimmed glasses. Mirabel opens one eye, then the other to find a wondrous, magical candle rippling with firelight magic.

"This is where our magic comes from?" The little girl softly asks with obvious wonder, curiosity, and amazement in her eyes.

"Mm-hmm, This candle holds the miracle given to our family."

"How did we get a miracle?"

"Long ago, when my three babies had just been born, your Abuelo Pedro and I were forced to flee our home. And though many joined us, hoping to find a new home... we could not escape the dangers... and your Abuelo was lost. But in our moment, we were a miracle. The candle became a magical flame that could never go out and it blessed us with a refuge in which to live. A place of wonder..."

"An Encanto," Mirabel said.

"An Encanto." The elder 

"An Encanto," A whisper followed that went unheard to the two.

Behind the door of the room stood a little girl with loose curly black hair and a pair of Hazel eyes, listening quietly towards the two. 

"When my children came of age, the miracle blessed each with a magic gift to help us. And when their children came of age..." 

"They got magic too." 

"That's right... and together our family's gifts have made our new home... a paradise" Abuela Alma said while staring at the little girl with eyes full of love.

"Tonight, this candle will give you your gift, Mi Vida. Strengthen our community, strengthen our home. Make your family proud."

"Make my family proud." Mirabel nodded solemnly.

The little girl standing outside the room felt the tile beneath her foot move causing her to gasp and immediately made her way back to the place behind the curtains, the foyer that acts as the backstage.

She comb her hair, trying to flatten the hairs sticking out, and smiled nervously. 

She felt the tile underneath her shaking causing her to take a deep breath.

"Casita do you think, Do you think I'll get an awesome gift?" The little girl asks causing the tiles to move seeming to be telling her something.

The little girl couldn't understand it but nodded, trying to pretend that she understood what the house was trying to tell her.

"You're right, Whatever gift I'll have, my family will still be proud of me."

Three tiles move up and down like it was nodding.

The little girl chuckled and nodded back solemnly.

"Laticia," The girl turned around and saw Abuela standing beside her with a smile, looking very proud at her.

The girl stared blankly before bursting into giggles.

"Cami, what are you doing?" 'Abuela Alma' froze before she changes back into Camilo.

The 5-year-old shapeshifter grins at the girl, "I just wanted to tell you something," 

Laticia stared confused at her cousin and smiled at him, "By shifting as Abuela?"

Camilo grins and nodded vigorously.

Laticia grins at her cousin and the pair stared at the curtain that hides them from the rest. "I'm pretty sure you'll get a wonderful gift Lati! Just like mine."

The two shared a fist bump and childish giggles filled the whole place.

The pair heard tiny footsteps and stared behind them.

Camilo showed Laticia his fist and Immediately left after seeing Mirabel walking towards Laticia.

"Let's go get our gift, Laticia."