Chapter Five

Marriage.

It wasn't a foreign concept to him.

He knew from a young age that he would not be allowed to marry for love or happiness or any of that other happily ever after crap found in story books.

He was a prince, his marriage would be a political one, made by those who didn't care if he and his bride were in love let alone got along. It would all be for show, and he had come to terms with that and honestly he had tried to come to care for Felicia and a part of him had let her begin to worm her way into his heart.

Only to have her try and slit his throat in return.

It had been a shit show, the Devildom had been on the brink of a civil war following that little plot yet he had been quick to squish it under heel with help from Lucifer and his brothers. While they were often dismissed due to their age and celestial origins there was a reason they were the lords and leaders of Devildom's various branches of military. Each one was powerful in their own right and he did not envy his friend when it came to wrangling them.

So honestly there was no one better to look after his fiance then the morning star, even so it put him on edge. If there was some deep rooted plot to unseat him then he would be placing his closest friend and his family right in the cross hairs. If there wasn't then he would be placing his future wife in the lion's den.

It was a catch twenty twenty, damned if he did, damned if he didn't.

Feeling a headache bloom he leaned back in his chair, ignoring the worried looks leveled at him from Lucifer and Barbatos. "What do you think?" He was opening the floor for both of them to speak candidly, forgoing their titles and rankings. He wanted their honest opinions.

Lucifer sighed as he slumped in his seat, his body language mirrored that of his lord. Tired, frustrated, and just over all at his wits end. Hard to believe that a slip of a human girl could cause him such trouble. "I agree, it would be the best course of action...once she gets here we can question what she knows and if she's tight lipped or oblivious then we can gloss over it and observe her until we get a chance to go over whatever paperwork Simeon was able to get from Micheal."

Barbatos nodded, his ever present smile a bit more prominent than usual. "Indeed, should she prove to be a threat we can deal with it accordingly. If not then we shall proceed with plans to officially announce the engagement. There's no better place to keep her safe from naysayers then the house of lamentation."

Lucifer nodded, "Indeed, once it's made official you are betrothed to a human I'm sure there will be those naysayers. Attempts at her life will be made." This was a fact. There was no love lost for humans in the Devildom, sure Solomon had been there for months but he also had a pact with Asmo and was a well renowned sorcerer of unmatched power.

By now the man was more demon than human.

From what they were able to gather Kagome Higurashi was a human, granted she spent some time in the celestial realm that didn't mean much, probably some super uptight god worshiper that had brown nosed her way into the heavenly realm.

If there was one thing his father and those under him loved it was blindly being worshiped. Just the thought of it made him bristle, shoving the budding feelings down he leaned his chin on his hand, "Add in the fact that it appears she has ties to the celestial realm, we'll have to keep an eye on her at all times. How troublesome your bride to be is." There was a small smirk on his lips letting the other two in the room know that it was meant to be a humorous statement.

Diavolo gave a light laugh, "Indeed, not even here yet and already has me running around with my head cut off. I can't wait to meet her." He gave a small smile, excitement budding in his chest, plot to kill him or not. He had a feeling having her around would keep him on his toes and break up the mundane of his everyday life.

"We'll summon her tomorrow, for now let us make arrangements for her stay no matter how short or long it ends up being." Barbatos nodded, a knowing smile on his lips as he left the room, his eyes glowing as he got a small glance at another possible future, though fuzzy and out of focus the smile on his lord's lips as he pulled a blurred out female closer made everything worth it.