A Dinner Disaster

"The Guzman's and the Madrigal's together will be so good for the encanto."

"Yes. Then, let's hope tonight is not a horrible disaster."

The two older women had know idea what was going on. Nerves ran high, as Mirabel and Dolores stared each other down. Well, Mira stared her cousin down. The other female looked as if she was ready to burst.

"Salud!," said the matriarch as she raised her glass upward.

"Salud!"

Abigail was sat at the end of the table, between Antonio (the five year old had insisted on her sitting next to him) and Luisa, who still looked upset. The teen reached out and put a hand on the taller girls arm. Luisa could only nod a thank you.

"You ok, Mariposa?"

She looked in the shape-shifters direction. "Y-yeah. I'm good."

"That reminds me." Señora Guzman turned to the brunette. "Abigail, when will your father be back? I was hoping to hire him to fix the drainage in our kitchen. It's been acting up a bit."

"Oh, uh. In a few days, I-I think. He said he'd only be gone for a week or two. I'm sure he'd be happy to help."

Mariano took the next moment to shove a bowl right in Mirabel's face. "Avocado?" he asked.

Mirabel hurriedly moved the bowl away, still trying not to break eye contact with her cousin. However, she was to late. Dolores leaned to her brothers ear and, Abigail could clearly hear the words "Bruno's vision" come out of her mouth.

The freckled boy looked between his cousin and Abbi. A surprised and worried look dawned his face. He then coughed (possibly out of nerves) and shifted his form from Mirabel to Bruno and then Abigail before settling on himself again.

Abigail would have laughed if the tension wasn't so high. His eyes were going in two different directions and his mouth was lopsided. The only other person to notice was his father.

"Camilo. Fix your face."

Shaking his head, he was able to get his features back in order. Still looking between the two girls, an unbridled concern started to fill his mind. From what he understood, if his uncle was involved something bad was bound to happen.

He glanced at the girl who had eyes like the ocean. He could see she was trying hard to keep herself from freaking out. When their eyes locked, it felt like a stone was thrown at his stomach. She was practically begging him not to tell anyone.

But he couldn't keep this a secret. Not from his family. Turning toward his father, he whispered the same thing his sister had told him. The reaction was instant. Felix spit out the wine he had all over the Guzman's food. He cleared his throat and proceeded to apologize.

Camilo gave the butterfly an apologetic look. His fingers started tapping on the table. An unconscious habit formed when he was younger.

"Mirabel." The girl broke her stare on her cousin to look at her grandmother. "The cream, please?"

"Pa, the cream?"

If any them were on edge, it definitely showed in Mirabel's father. With a shaking hand and a nervous chuckle he couldn't grab the bowl with out it spilling. Abigail gently took it from him and handed it to her friend, who placed it near her grandmother.

A cloud darkened the room. The girls didn't have to see what was happening to know that Felix must have told his wife about the vision as well. A low rumble of thunder was heard.

"Pepa, the cloud." Señora Alma pointed up. Both her and Seoñra Guzman had looks of worry.

 The red-head ran her fingers through her braid, muttering to try and keep herself calm. She leaned next to her sister and then Julieta looked at the two girls. Abigail looked down and Mirabel took a deliberate sip from her glass. The later seeing a crack form under her feet.