10 | what remains of the madrigals

The sun rose over the mountains surrounding the Encanto, shedding light on the wreckage that used to be the Madrigal household

The sun rose over the mountains surrounding the Encanto, shedding light on the wreckage that used to be the Madrigal household. Not only was the house in shambles, but relationships as well. Following the argument, all of the Madrigals' flaws were put on display. Luisa's weakness, Isabela's imperfections, all of it was laid bare for the family to see.

But all of that had to wait. How would they address these problems if they had no place to do so?

Mirabel found herself wondering that as she watched her mother round what remained of a house corner, barreling towards her to drag her into a hug.

"Ay, mi amor, I was so worried," she muttered, tucking her daughter's face into her neck. "We couldn't find you."

"There were bees... everywhere," Agustín sighed, his waving his swelled hands around. Mirabel chuckled quietly and placed a hand on her father's cheek, who placed his on top of hers and smiled, "I'll be okay."

"Uh... not if we don't have a house," Camilo pointed out, adjusting his grip on his younger sibling. Upon their recovery, he was the first to swoop in and pick up (Name), hoisting them over his back after they complained about the ache in them. Félix glanced over before nudging him with his elbow, earning a surprised face from his son. "What? We don't have a house! I can't say we don't have a house? What is that? Not a house."

Mirabel chuckles lightly at her cousin before hopping up the broken stairs. She looks around the standing archway before turning back to her family, "Look at this home. We need a new foundation... It may seem hopeless, but we'll get by just fine."

Isabela was the first to join Mirabel in the house's remnants, allowing her sister to pull her up. The rest of the family followed suit, walking into the wreckage in a line like they used to do. 

"Look at this family, a glowing constellation. So full of stars and everybody wants to shine."

Mirabel stood in the center, surrounded by the rest of her family. She smiled brightly at them, hoping to offer some semblance of normality. (Name) managed a small smile in return, resting their chin on Camilo's shoulder. For the first time, they were happy to say they felt a part of that "constellation" Mirabel loved to call them. 

"But the stars don't shine, they burn. And the constellations shift. I think it's time you learn you're more than just your gift..."

Mirabel rushed over to Luisa, who had taken it upon herself to try and push a broken wall upright, and pushed the debris up with her. She lightly patted her sister's shoulder, earning a soft smile in thanks.

"And I'm sorry I held on too tight. I was just so afraid I'd lose you too," Alma continued, being the last one to join the family. She walked towards her daughters, holding their hands and cupping their cheeks before beckoning a figure towards her. "The miracle is not some magic that you've got. The miracle is you, not some gift, just you."