05 | emerald vision

Who would have known this was her uncle Bruno? He wasn't some malicious fifty-year-old that only had eyes on a terrible future for all of the people in Encanto

Who would have known this was her uncle Bruno? He wasn't some malicious fifty-year-old that only had eyes on a terrible future for all of the people in Encanto. He wasn't some towering figure with a seven-foot frame. In fact, he matched more of Dolores and (Name)'s (and a bit of Camilo's) renditions of him. He muttered and mumbled a bunch, rats crawled all over him because of his current residence in the walls, and he seemed nice. He was rather awkward and timid, akin to (Name) which would explain the strange tendency they apparently had to sit in front of his abandoned tower door.

But, most of all, he was a caring family man. He loved his family, a sight Mirabel never thought she would see from the supposed cursed Madrigal.

"My gift wasn't helping family... but, uh..." Bruno averted his gaze after Mirabel traced the stenciled art of his old plate, "But I love my family, you know... I just don't know how to... I just don't know how to..."

Mirabel nearly squirms under Bruno's gaze. She knew exactly how he felt, isolated and helpless in terms of their standing in the family.

"Well anyway, I think you should go because um--" Bruno quickly changes the subject, sitting in his old dirty chair with two pieces of an arepa in his hands. "Well, I don't really have a good reason, but if I did, you'd be like, I should go 'cause that's a good reason."

Even after the emotional reveal of his reason for leaving ("You left... to protect me...?" Mirabel wouldn't forgive herself for driving her uncle away), she didn't leave. She was close to it, but she barged right back in with more determination in her eyes than there ever had been before.

"You wish you could've seen more, so see more," Mirabel argues, closing in one Bruno as he tries to hide away from the girl. "Have another vision!"

"Oh, uh, no, no, see, I don't, I don't do visions anymore," Bruno chuckles nervously, using all of his furniture of treasures to put space between him and his niece.

"But ya could."

"But I won't."

"You can't just say "the weight of the world is on your shoulders, the end." If our fate's up to me," Mirabel pauses to toss the broom away from her face, "me says have another vision. Maybe it'll show me what to do--"

"Look, even if I wanted to, which I don't, you wrecked my vision cave," Bruno points out, motioning towards the floor as if his tower was beneath him. "Which is a problem 'cause I need a big open space--"

"We'll find one!"

"Where?"

"Use my room," Antonio quickly chimes in, standing in the doorway of Bruno's main hiding spot. His arm leans against one of his animals while a rat sits in his palm, a confident smile present on his face. "The rats told me everything. Don't eat those."

His jaguar pauses before turning away from the two rats underneath its jaw, pouting at Antonio. Mirabel stifles a laugh before turning back to face Bruno, urging, "Our family needs help. And you need to... get out of here."