03 | hermanos

"Uh-huh, uh-huh

"Uh-huh, uh-huh. I understand you," Antonio nodded to the toucan on his arm. The bird tilted its head and let out a squawk, prompting Antonio to respond with, "Of course, they can come!"

The crowd turned to face the open space of Casita as a flock of birds and herds of other animals began to charge through the home, meeting Antonio just outside his door. Bright lights covered his door before disappearing to reveal a carving of him with animals surrounding him. 

"We have a new gift!" Alma cheered, causing the rest of the crowd to follow. (Name) jostled around uncomfortably as their brother cheered beside them, his arm still thrown over their shoulders. When Antonio's eyes met theirs, they offered a smile and a light clap from their hands.

The boy was quickly ushered towards his door, directed to turn the knob and reveal his room. As he entered, he watched in awe as the interior began to form into a large rainforest. The animals that had initially found refuge in Casita's stairway raced through the door, the jaguar taking it upon itself to carry Antonio through the large tree.

"Wepa Antonio!" Félix cheered, cupping his hands around his mouth. "Vaya, vaya!"

After the trip through his new room, Antonio is brought back to his parents via jaguar. Pepa kneels in front of her youngest son, pressing kisses all over his face while Félix rubs his head excitedly. Alma quickly kneels to the boy's level, pulling him close and whispering, "I knew you could do it... A gift just as special as you."

(Name) smiles softly at the scene, feeling a vague sense of familiarity flood their system. They knew they had to go through something like this, right? Why can't they remember it...?

"We need a picture!" Alma suddenly gasps, jostling (Name) out of their thoughts. She begins to wave the family over, with (Name) joining the group begrudgingly. They never really were fond of being in pictures. They always made them feel... old, for some strange reason. Now, they weren't opposed to other pictures, ones that didn't include them. They especially loved writing the date on the back of the picture as a way of keeping track of the time.

"It's a great night, it's a perfect night. Everyone together!" (Name) found themselves beside their mother and just behind their father. Pepa had wrapped an arm around (Name)'s waist while Félix crouched lower to make his child visible behind him. As the rest of their family did their best to showcase their gifts, (Name) simply held their watch in their palm and directed it towards the camera, a tight-lipped smile present on their face.

"La Familia Madrigal!"