Camilo's Promise

Why? Why did she start having these thoughts tonight of all nights? This was supposed to be a happy day! She was supposed to be happy for Antonio!

And yet.............here she was, standing on one of the balconies of Casita with tears rolling down her face. If her mother could see her now........could Abigail even call her mother? Cordelia was killed bringing her into the world. It was all her fault. No matter how many people told her otherwise, she knew the truth! She would never--

Someone knocked on a wall. "Mariposa?"

Camilo. He saw her stiffen at the sound of his voice. Saw how she rubbed at her face even with her back to him. "What are you doing out here?" His voice was soft.

A hiccup, "S-sorry. I-I just needed some fresh air. I t-think I'll try to find Mira. Saw her wander off after the picture was taken."

When she turned around, she could see that he didn't believe a word. She had always been a terrible liar and now she lied to one of the people she cares for the most. Nice going, Abigail.

She had just gotten passed him when he grabbed her wrist, effectively stopping the young girl in her tracks. He pulled her to him and wrapped her in his arms. "I know I'm not Mirabel, even though I can be her but, would that make it better? Looking like her? So you could talk to someone?"

"N-no. I don't t-think it would." He sighed. Abigail hesitantly put her arms around him and placed her head in the crook of his neck. A sniffle was heard, then a small sob and soon enough she was crying her eyes out.

Camilo lowered them to the floor, placed Abbi in his lap and, gently rocked her. Every sob, every tear that left her eyes, shattered his heart. He wanted to take all of her pain and throw it as far away as possible. "Oh, mi preciosa mariposa."

She gripped his ruana as tight as she could, and her cries started coming so fast, the shape-shifter was worried she'd hyperventilate. "You need to breath, Abbi. Breath, ok? Deep breath in, deep breath out." He did this with her a few times before she started calming down.

'You'll be ok, you'll be ok. The sun will rise to better days.' He gently tightened his hold and rested his head on hers. 'And change will come. It's on it's way. Just close your eyes and let it ran. 'Cause you're never alone and, I will always be there. You just carry on. You will understand.'

Her grip loosened, her attention on the very boy holding her. 'You'll be ok, you'll be ok.' She finally looked at him. Nothing but utter determination could be seen in his eyes.

'Just look inside, you know the way. Let it go. Fly away and say goodbye to yesterday!' Cupping her face in his hands, he wiped away some stray tears with his thumbs. ''Cause you're never alone and, I will always be there. You just carry on. You will understand.'

He guided her to her feet, putting one of her hands on his shoulder, the other lightly held in his own. 'And I will be strong. When love is gone. And I'll carry on.'

Camilo took a step back, Abigail looking down at their feet, trying to follow his movements, not being nearly as graceful. The curly-haired boy chuckled and lifted her gaze toward him. "Just look at me."

She gulped, but nodded her head. When it looked as if she got more comfortable, she smiled and, it was like a ray of sunshine to Camilo. He made a promise to himself then and there, that he'd make her smile like that everyday. Not for him but, for her. She deserved all the happiness in the world and if he could be the one to make that happen, who was he to complain.

'You'll be ok, you'll be ok. The sun will rise to better days.' They twirled and spun around like they didn't have a care in the world. 'You'll be ok, you'll be ok. Just close your eyes and let it rain.'

'When you need it the most and all you've got is a prayer, you must carry on. You will understand. You will understand. You will understand.'

Camilo slowly stopped his movements. Taking both Abigail's hands in his he continued to sing. 'You'll be ok, you'll be ok.' He leaned his forehead to hers. 'You'll be ok.'

After some more deep breaths, Abigail's mind was  stuck on one thing. Thankfully, it didn't send her spiraling again, just confused her a little. "You.......you said my name."

"That's what you focus on?! Not the fact I tried to cheer you up? Or make you smile?" he joked.

"I-it's just t-that you always call me 'mariposa'."

"Butterflies are pretty. Like you." Now that, she did not expect. Was Antonio right? Did Camilo actually like her? "Let's get you a drink before you dehydrate, ok?"

"Yeah, ok."

Walking through the crowd of people, Camilo found his aunt and the woman immediately rushed over. Her face was a mixture of worry and relief. "Abigail, cariña. Are you alright?"

"Much better, now."

"Buena, buena. I have just the thing to perk you up even more." She left only to come back with two small plates of food, handing them to the teens. "Here."

"Thank you."

"She could use a drink, too." Camilo was already happily stuffing his face. Abigail gave him a look (red as a cherry again). A smirk made it's way to his face. "What? Not like you were gonna ask her yourself. You know, with you being shy and all."

That earned him another beautiful smile. All he needed now, was to find his cousin and talk to her. How could she just leave her best friend like this? Did she even know how broken Abbi really was? He'd be lying if he said he wasn't at least a little upset with Mirabel.

For now, though, he'd just enjoy the rest of the night with the people round  him. Watching his brother dance with their parents, hearing the music, seeing everyone's smiles, this was exactly where he needed to be. Everything was perfect.

"THE HOUSE IS IN DANGER!" Mirabel ran through the crowd, a frantic look on her face. "The house is in danger! The tiles were falling, and there were cracks everywhere. And the candle almost went out."

That got everyone's attention. Looking from her friend to Señora Alma, Abigail could see the frightened look on their faces. The older woman pulled her shawl around herself took a deep breath and said, "Show me."