Chapter 37: Hunting Opportunity

For some reason, It feels like something bad is happening.

I clenched my hands on the pen that I am currently holding. I took a deep sigh.

Honestly, I kinda worry about Sister Krone. Now that she has already gone to the Orphanage, I am worried that she won't follow my advice and do things as she wishes. After all, warnings are not enough to convince her to do nothing.

I gave her the warning to stay put, but it's all about her decision if she will decide to save herself. At least that's all I could do for her.

'I know that pen, Sister Krone.'

But I have to believe that she will carry out my request to her. She may ignore the warning about Mama Isabella, but she won't ignore about the pen. I'll just wish that nothing bad will happen to my conveyed gift for 'Carol'.

'You just have to give my gift to Carol and I won't tell anyone about your little secret.'

'Is that all that you wanted?'

'Of course not.'

That's all I could do to assure them that I am alright and to also assure myself that they won't worry about me anymore. But I'm also worried about Mama Isabella's next move to stop the children from escaping. 

By now, I am sure that Mama Isabella is already aware of their plan. 

However, this is not the time to worry about them anymore. Those children are clever, they are not normal, I have to believe in them. 

Right now, I should worry more about myself. Now that I am facing my own problem about that stupid auction, I have to work up my mind. I'm still flustered about the idea of myself choosing children to be eaten by the Demons.

That damned Ratri.

I know I wanted to survive, but...

"I wonder what's bothering my food?"

I raised my head when I heard a familiar voice. A large Demon sitting on a high chair appeared before my sight. His sharp teeth were exposed when he grinned as he look down on me. 

"I heard that your friend was already out of the cellar," He stated, referring to Einna who was captured by trying to escape but was freed when I stand up as her witness. "But it seems like there are more things that are bothering you. That's not healthy for you."

I can't help but to frown when I heard him say that. He's truly serious about waiting for me to become older before stealing me to become his food. 

It's creepy that he's even eager on cultivating me to become a higher grade of meat.  

As much as possible, I don't want to bump into this Demon, but the role of being the one who manages the 'goods' for the incoming tifari is restraining me. 

Mr. Lerin, a superior demon in the facility ordered Grandma Sarah to let me directly report to him. Right now, I am in his office to report the possible candidates for the incoming auction for the tifari.

I choose the candidate according to their performance in the class. Those who have a high possibility of failing, but not totally dumb are my targets. This is not the final list since I am waiting for the elimination exam to arrive.

After all, there is no guarantee that no one from the outstanding students would not fall. 

Someone will try to sabotage them.

"I see, your appointed role for the incoming auction is the one that bothers you," Mr. Lerin nodded his while looking at the paper in my hand. "I can give the job to another person, but if that happens, I won't be able to keep my eye on you."

"You're always thinking about eating me! Are you even interested in my report?" I shouted in annoyance. "I am not a food, I'm a mom-in-training."

The Demon laughed at me as he took the papers in my hand. "I told you, I don't mind becoming a thief." His eyes scanned the paper for a few minutes, after he finished reading it his eyes went to me.

"You're like Isabella, you care about the quality of the food."

I averted my eyes on him. "It's better to present a good quality. I don't want to encounter problems in the future. After all, it will also help to promote a good reputation for the auction."

Mr. Lerin nodded his head. 

"I see..." He mumbled. "But these are not the permanent list," Mr. Lerin told me. 

"If I were you, I would decide who to pluck from your classmates earlier. You shouldn't give the facility a hard  time about removing the transmitter from their hearts."

Remove... Remove what?

My eyes lit up when I heard him mention that. My mouth gapped as I stared at him with wide eyes. 

I became stiff.

My ears are not tricking me... right?

I have to clarify it!

"Remove... transmitter?" I asked him. My body unconsciously moved towards Mr. Lerin before tugging his clothes. "They would remove the transmitters?"

Mr. Lerin chuckled before patting my head.

"Indeed. Usually, they won't bother to remove them, but an auction is a different case." Mr. Lerin placed the paper on the table. "They will need care for the quality of the meat, not only for the brain but also for the body."

"No one wants a meat with a stuck device on it."

"Then before killing them..." I stopped mumbling.

If they will remove the transmitter, then escaping would be possible for them. However, there are still elements that would stop it from happening. 

I have to gather more information.

"It seems like my food is interested in the transmitters," He said before showing me his sharp teeth. "You're not as grumpy as you are a while ago. Could it be that you're now interested in saving your classmates?"

"Or maybe, you're now interested in escaping?"

I bit my lips when he asked me that question.

He's right.

And if he's really telling the truth, then there is a hope, even if it's only a little.

"You don't want to answer? Never mind, It's not like you'll be able to escape," Mr. Lerin told me. "You're my food after all."

I remained silent as I let go of his clothes. I took a deep sigh before walking away from him. I can't be careless around him. 

I want to know a lot of information, but it will be dangerous if he'll be able to see through my mind. He may be acting like this to me, but Mr. Lerin is still part of those Demons. 

He is a part of this facility. 

Someone I couldn't trust.

"I won't escape," I told him before crossing my arms. "I want to become a Mom."

At least not now. 

They have to escape first.

"I'm going, I have to review for the test," I told him before walking towards the door. "I'll give you my report for the next day. I want to observe before creating a permanent list."

 I was about to open the door, but I heard Mr. Lerin calling my name. 

"Conny," Mr. Lerin uttered which made me stop. I carefully glanced back at him.  A grin appeared on his face before he stands up from his seat. "On the second thought, having you escape would make it more thrilling."

"Having you escape means opportunity for a hunt."

•••••

( ̄y▽, ̄)╭