Open Your Eyes

The one reason Itzayana has always felt bad for Mirabel beyond her not getting a gift, is her not getting a door. With it disappearing, there wasn't anywhere else for her to live.

She's been stuck in the nursery since she was five. And now Mirabel's thirteen herself and is sharing a bedroom with a three-year-old.

Itzi loves Antonio, she really does. He's the baby of the family, everyone coddles and cuddles him. But having to share a bedroom with someone so young must be so taxing.

Itzayana couldn't imagine having to share a room while being on her period, being angry, being sad and just wanting to scream.

She tries to invite Mirabel for sleepovers but because Itzayana isn't tired at night due to her gift, it's hard for them to get together to do it.

As well, most of Itzayana's interaction with her cousins is to calm them down from something. She's supposed to keep everyone happy and it causes an unintentional rift. Everyone else hates being forced to calm down instead of feeling their feelings.

There is one saving grace in Itzayana's hectic life. Elio.

Since their talk that night, he visits her almost every single day while she's helping out the town. He doesn't show up with a blue aura, though.

Elio always forces Itzayana to take some of his happiness and share some of the sadness she takes from other people.

And when she needs a break, he's always somehow right there by the river.

He tries to make her laugh as they talk by the same spot

He tries to make her laugh as they talk by the same spot. And through all of these little break sessions, Itzayana's learned much about him.

His parents run one of the farms on the hill, the ones that Pepa takes care of most of the time. Elio's favourite colour is green, like Itzi's eyes, he jokes. And he was named after the sun because of the good harvests they've had.

Even more surprisingly, Itzi tells Elio about herself. Bruno, her mother's death, all of her cousins.

Itzayana finds it refreshing to talk to him. Because he doesn't talk to her because of her gift or to ask her to use it. He just wants to talk to her.

"You have quite the admirer," Dolores says suddenly one day as Itzi is making someone who got rejected happy.

"What are you talking about?" Itzayana asks innocently, walking through the square until she finds someone else to help.

"He talks about you. All the time," Dolores replies with a little squeak at the end of her sentence.

Itzi whips her head to look at her cousin, her cheeks burning in embarrassment. "I don't know what you're talking about," Itzayana defends as she pushes past Dolores to help someone else.