Chapter 66

"So, this is the Scarabia dorm?" Grim looked at his surroundings curiously. "It's so hot here, it feels like the middle of summer."

"It warms you up from the cold, huh?" Jamil mentioned. He had a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. "Come along, this way."

It was indeed hot. I took the long brown coat of my uniform off. Yuu took off their cap and coat as well and hung it over their arm. I followed their gaze to the huge taj mahal like palace in the distance. Sand covered the area, making the blues and reds pop. A large fountain was the center piece. Jamil led us away to an open-air lounge.

As Jamil walked in, he clapped his hands together to announce our arrival, "A guest has arrived! Everyone, start the music to welcome them."

"Music?" Yuu questioned. Sure enough, instruments began to play a smooth song. I tried looking around for the source to see a few students tucked away in a corner.

"Nyahaha! Who knew when you're such a famous guy like me you get such a welcoming!" Grim soaked up everything.

I clutched my jacket closer to me. This doesn't seem right. I need to tell Yuu he used magic on them, but he hasn't left us alone yet! Goodness alive, this is not good.

They ushered us to sit at a low table surrounded by cushions. Platters upon platters were set in front of us along with others who sat at similar tables. "Now eat up, before it gets cold," Jamil insisted.

Grim didn't need to be told twice as he dug into the meal. Yuu followed soon after while I hesitated. "Delicious! There's a spicy scent in every bite!" Grim praised like a food critic. "And it is evenly spread throughout the dish!"

"There are also some meat dishes and soups," Jamil pointed out. "There is plenty to go around, so please dig in." He locked eyes with me at his final sentence.

I nodded my head and took a piece of flat bread to spread some hummus on. "I never took you as the hospitality type, Jamil."

"Haha, well, you only see so much as a spots club manager," Jamil answered. As I was about to take a bite of bread, another person came into the room.

"What is all this commotion about?" the boy asked as he walked further in. He had short white hair that stood out against his tan skin. Ruby eyes popped and white henna tattoos decorated his left shoulder. He wore the same uniform as the others, with a bit more gold accessories and a matching headband.

Everything halted. Dorm members all muttered, "...Prefect..." I sat the food down to awkwardly watch.

"Kalim..." Jamil murmured.

"What is the meaning of this Jamil? I wasn't told we were having visitors," Kalim angrily asked for answers.

And time to go. Didn't want to be here in the first place. I started to gather my things and prepared to drag Yuu and Grim back through the mirror.

"Kalim, I have a reason for this..." Jamil tried to pacify him.

"What's with this scary guy showing up?" Grim whispered to us.

"I don't know, but plan to take your meal to go," I whispered back.

"I told you before, if you ever invite someone here, you let me know first!" Kalim reprimanded. I was ready to step in to defend Jamil and my dorm, when I got smacked with a 180-degree flip. Kalim continued, "We could have prepared better food and music!"

"Huh?" Yuu and I deadpanned.

"Eh?" Grim almost dropped his food.

Kalim came closer to us and with a golden retriever smile introduced himself, "I'm terribly sorry we couldn't prepare a big welcoming parade for you! I'm Scarabia's dorm leader, Kalim Al-Asim. Nice to meet ya!"

"It's no problem..." Yuu assured as they shook hands.

"No, this isn't the first time you've met them," Jamil corrected. "Grim set your butt on fire during the entrance ceremony, and we briefly spoke before the Magift Tournament."

"Grim did what?!" I exclaimed. I turned to Yuu, "You left out that part during your recap, Yuu!"

"Listen, I was bit preoccupied trying to figure out if I was kidnapped by a cult to be sacrificed to some mirror all right? I was not concerned with whose butt was set a flame," Yuu sassed me.

"Oh, is that right. My bad! I'm not good at remembering faces, please don't take it personal," Kalim cheerfully apologized. Jamil's RBF grew slightly worse as Kalim kept talking. "Nice to meet you again."

"It's nice to meet you too," Yuu exchanged formalities. I picked up my bread and made a weird sandwich of nuts, meat, and hummus.

He is very different from the other dorm leaders I've met so far. Much...friendlier.

"Today's food looks delicious! Any issues, Jamil?" Kalim asked as he took a seat across from us.

"Everything is as usual. There's nothing dangerous in the food, so you can eat confidently," Jamil assured. "I already tested for poison as well."

Grim gagged on his mouthful of food, "Tested for poison?!"

I am so glad I waited to eat now...

"Kalim is the heir to the Land of Hot Sands. There are some that will target his life, so he needs a food tester," Jamil spoke as if it was the easiest notion to comprehend.

"Jamil is always making a big deal out of it. No one would put poison in the food. Ever since I fell into a coma for two weeks four years ago, he's been doing this," Kalim downplayed.

"Hun, I...that's..." I tried to grasp at straws to form a sentence.

"The only reason you've been safe these past four years is because you have a food tester. I'm just checking for poison before you eat," Jamil bickered back.

"Hey, wait! So, you let us eat the food so we could be your poison testers?!" Grim gasped.

"Haha! You don't need to worry! Anything Jamil makes if good to eat!" Kalim laughed brightly. "Jamil would never poison me."

"Hmph, what are you even saying?" Jamil grinned.

That...that is not how a normal person would react to that statement...

"I...have suddenly lost my appetite..." Yuu mumbled.

"These guys...seemed like good guys, but now they seem completely crazy," Grim cowered close to Yuu.

"Hey, Grim! Have you tried the blue cheese made from sheep's milk?" Kalim leaned forward with a platter in hand. "It's more delicious with crackers!"

"Ha! I'm not going to eat that blue mold-mph!" Grim was cut off as a cracker loaded with cheese was shoved into in fae. "Don't shove it in my mouth!! Hmph!"

"I see, I see! It's good huh? Here have some more! Hahaha!"

"For as much as he is friendly, he should never have a pet...of any kind," I whispered as I took a bite of my sandwich.

"Agreed..." Yuu whispered back as they let Grim be forced fed. Grim's angry muffles were drowned out by the music.

"Bring more food and drinks! Let's make the music even more energetic! Today is a feast!" Kalim yelled out.