Chapter 60

The Wendy-Girl was back in the nursery when she was the supreme authority on Peter Pan. She was tidying up for the night while her brothers roughed housed. As she left the room to put away the water used to clean their faces, she bent down and pleaded, "Oh Nana. Must we always take that nasty tonic?"

A fluffy Saint Bernard dog wearing a blue bonnet strutted in. A tray with a bottle of a sickly green medicine, three glasses of water, and three spoons balanced on her head.

The scene shifted and the nursery was now the hide-out of the Lost Boys and Peter Pan. Wendy stood in front of the band of boys in various animal onesies with Peter at her side. Under the roots of the tree, they tried to come up with a punishment for the near death of their new mother. Wendy plucked a large flower bloom from amongst the exposed roots and filled it with fresh rainwater.

"I, however, propose a far more dreadful punishment," she stated in a conniving tone as she presented the flower to the boys, "medicine. The sticky, sweet kind."

The group was obscured from view as a fog rolled over to the sound of the boys' wailing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ah, poop canoe," I grumbled at the potion bottle with barely a drop left. "The nurse said my refill would be ready before break, but I'm out already."

I hope it's an easy week this month without it. It shouldn't be that big of a deal since I won't have to leave the dorm once classes are over.

I mulled over the possible problems as I trudged down the stairs to meet Yuu and the other Ramshackle residents in the main hall. Yuu leaned on the railings with Grim at their feet, surrounded by the three ghosts.

"Oh my~ why do you look so drowsy?" The small ghost questioned the dorm leader.

"I'm always tired," Yuu yawned.

"You look like you just saw something not of this world. Hehehe," the large ghost poked some fun.

"Guess they got a glimpse of their bed head in the mirror this morning," I inserted myself in as I took a seat on a stair. "Morning everyone."

"Morning Viv," Yuu greeted back. "And it isn't bed head, it is an aesthetic." We chuckled at each other.

"Good morning, young lady," the gangly ghost tipped their hat at me. "Today is the last day of the fall semester. Make sure to keep working hard to the very end."

"You know it, Ghostie-C," I smiled.

The small ghost added, "Tomorrow is the first day of winter holiday. Do you two have any plans?"

"Hm? What's winter holiday?" Grim asked the crowd with a puzzled glance.

"Winter vacation," they answered. "Most students go back home and celebrate New Year's with their family and have a feast!"

Huh, if most everyone goes home, then that gives me even less to worry about missing my potion dosage. I mentally noted.

"We probably can't even go home," Yuu was barely audible as they whispered their prediction.

Grim continued over them without a second thought, "Fgnya! A feast?!"

"That's right!" the one I nicknamed Ghostie-C confirmed. "With roast turkey, cake, and a gingerbread house...Well, we won't be able to eat it."

"Leave it to Grim to be stuck on the food aspect," I chuckled. "Ghostie-A, what do you guys do if you don't eat this feast?"

The small ghost replied, "We ghosts usually go back to the other side to see their families too."

"But some of them never return! Hehehe!" the large ghost spookily chimed.

"Ghostie-B, it's too early for your shenanigans," Yuu sighed.

"Eating food with family..." Grim ruminated on.

"I wonder..." I slowly started as I thought to my own traditions during this time of year, "if Headmaster Crowley has looked for a way to send us home."

"This is Headmaster we're talking about," Yuu scoffed.

"He's probably completely forgot," Grim finished. "You'll need to pester him about it."

Ghostie-A got close to Grim, "That reminds me, what about your family Grim?"

"Oh yeah, I never thought about that," Yuu scratched their head. "Do you have a family outside of here?"

"My family?" Grim paused and concentrated. "Hmm...I don't really remember. I just remember waking up and being alone and hungry. It was so cold, and I just remember waiting for someone to come for me. Then...what happened after that? I can't remember..."

"Oh, my sweet lord, were you a stray?" I felt a pang in my heart for the annoying mascot of Ramshackle.

"Meh, it's okay. I don't look back on that past anyhow. What's more important is the future! Because I'm going to be a rich and famous magician! Baha!"

Ghostie-A sniffled, "You've had your own fair share of struggles, huh?"

Yuu pushed their bangs up their forehead, "Dang, even the cat has a tragic backstory..."

"I know, why don't we all spend this year's holiday around the fireplace together?" Ghostie-C suggested.

"Nyahaha!" Grim jumped for joy. "We'll have a feast! I'm looking forward to the holidays!"

Yuu and I laughed, but it was an agreeing one. Maybe it would be a peaceful chunk of time for once.