Chapter 43- The First Duke

--Alina POV--

I know that I'm not the brightest in any subject other than the creative arts, but I guess even I have my moments sometimes. Especially if I'm able to fool my husband of all people.

I hid in the corner of the closet, covering my mouth with my hands as I heard him growling like some wild animal outside the door after he saw the piece of art that I had left for him to see, finishing just in time with it before he returned to the room.

I'm not going to lie by saying that I didn't originally plan on taking the escape route that I had created for myself, but thankfully, I had let my second thoughts take control, deciding that it would be best if I tried fooling Alvise instead.

And that was because of one main reason; I knew that the small amount of time that I had given myself was never going to be enough to get away from this estate without getting caught. And besides, if I am to ever run away from here, I would make sure to take Elio with me at all costs, and that just wouldn't have been possible today.

Once I had made sure that the coast was clear, I stealthily got out from my hiding spot, going to leave the closet, and taking a minute to compose myself, looking down at the simple and comfy dress that I had changed into, the nightgown which I had been wearing had been discarded into the laundry basket.

Leaving the room, I immediately made my way to Elio's room, breathing out a relieved sigh at the sight of my son gurgling away in his cot with a maid watching over him.

Peeking over the edge of the cot, his face instantly lit up with laughter at the sight of his mother, and he reached his arms out towards me, to which I couldn't help but let my laughter breakthrough, picking him up in my arms as I kissed his forehead.

"Duchess!? What are you doing here?" Spinning around, I came face-to-face with Clyde as he stood there with a surprised look on his face.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I-I mean..." He stumbled around for words. "The Duke is going ballistic, having the whole estate littered with security guards searching for you. He, or rather we, thought you had run away," He eventually managed to get out.

"I guess my husband isn't the only one that knows how to pull off a believable act," I shrugged, biting my lip to hold back the smirk.

I wasn't about to let myself mope around, crying for myself. I have a son to live for, and my own life to live too, I'm not going to let myself be chained back by anyone, including my husband.

"I don't understand. What would you get out of doing that?" Clyde raised a curious brow. I shrugged, rocking Elio in my arms as he fiddled with the tendrils of my hair.

"I'm not sure. Maybe I really did plan on running away until I started thinking logically. At which point there was no turning back because Alvise had already walked into the room... But in the end, it doesn't really matter," I mumbled.

"How does none of it matter?" The butler stepped into the room, a worried look on his face which was directed to none other than me. "The Duke is now out to get you, when he gets his hands on you, I am afraid to imagine what he will do. Duchess..."

"It's okay... Clyde," I sent him a small smile.

Despite the calm and composed look that I gave him, my heart was beating away a mile a minute in my chest, threatening to break free any moment.

But I wasn't lying when I said none of it mattered anymore.

Because it didn't.

"Duchess, with all due respect, have you got a death wish?"