Chapter 40- The Worst Sin

TRIGGER WARNING:

THE FOLLOWING CHAPTER CONTAINS DEPICTIONS OF DOMESTIC ABUSE, SEXUAL VIOLENCE, SELF HARM, AND MORE. PLEASE PROCEED WITH CAUTION OR SKIP TO THE NEXT CHAPTER IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE WITH THESE THINGS.

***

The look on her face was one that I had been expecting, but nevertheless, it didn't help to quench the stabbing pain in my chest.

This world was really a cruel place.

This society that we're all expected to conform to is messed up too.

There's nothing wrong with me, I am normal by my own standards, but I know that society nor this world will ever see me as such, they'll label me with words such as psychopath which tells everyone that I'm different, putting me in a contrasting category as the rest of mankind.

How ironic it is that I am here, working so hard to fit into a world that I despise so much. As if I could suddenly wake up one day with a sense of belonging in me.

But I know better than to believe in equality, I know that no such thing exists.

"You know that I would never hurt you," I whispered out to her as she trembled under me, fearful of me no matter how much I reassured her.

"Let me go,"

"If I let you go now then you'll try running away. And I cannot live without you," I calmly responded through her tears.

No matter how much I wanted, there will never be a place on this Earth for me. I will never have a place to belong, no matter how much land I owned, no matter how beautiful I was, no matter how famous I was, the real me will never have a place to be free.

"It's not okay to hurt people just because you don't like them," She whispered out, a pitying look on her face as she wept, and without another word, I gently wiped her tears away with my thumb, leaning down to kiss her forehead, squeezing my eyes shut.

"Then what makes it okay for those people to want something they can't have? What law determines that murder is the worst sin? What if I murdered someone who had no right to live by anyone's standards, what if I let that person get away and they went on to hurt other people?... The law doesn't protect anyone, you show your money to the law and the law follows it like a tamed dog. I only act as though I've conformed to the restrictions of this society, but in reality, I am a man who has more freedom than the word freedom is even capable of understanding. All I needed for this freedom of mine is money, and that fact is enough to tell people what kind of world we are all living in,"

She bit down on her bottom lip, and my fingers trailed down from her cheek to her lip, pulling her bottom lip out from between her teeth.

"You live in a society where you are thought to believe that murder is the worst sin, but little do you know that the true worst sin of all is pride... Pride, the root of all sin, the sin that leads to all other sins. While I am as much guilty as the next person for possessing a large amount of pride, the pride I hold is nothing compared to the pride of others, what of those people?"

Leaning down, I lightly pecked her lips.

"If the law, which is supposed to bring about peace to victims who have been wronged, is so easily swept away by the smell of money, then what makes you believe that justice is real? In all honesty, there is no such thing as equality or justice in this dystopian world,"

"And in that case..." I moved away from her lips, my kisses travelling down to her throat as she let out a surprised gasp, my arms snaking around her waist, keeping her from straying.