Chapter 38- The Reality of You

--Alina POV--

We stood at the main entrance of the mansion, Enzo's partner, Daniel, already waiting in their car outside as Enzo asked me his last few quick questions.

"You said you attempted to commit suicide, right?" I nodded my head. "Do you remember what the cause of that was?" He asked.

"No, but... No matter how much I think about it, I never thought of myself as the type to attempt suicide, especially if I was pregnant at the time... But Alvise said that I may have tried to kill myself after I found out about his dissociative identity disorder,"

"Dissociative identity disorder?" Enzo blinked, surprised, and I nodded once more. Both Evan and Alvise told me that there was no need to hide that fact anymore, that's why I said it, but I feel as though maybe I shouldn't have done that. It feels like I'm sharing someone else's secret.

"Can you give me a date that you think you're husband will be free? I have some questions that I think only he will be able to answer if that's alright with you?"

Taking a step back, I turned to look at the calendar. "Evan will be returning from his business trip by the end of the week. You can come back on Monday or Tuesday if you want," I turned back to look at Enzo to see he was already staring at me.

"Is that alright with you?" I asked when he didn't reply.

"Oh, um, yes," He itched the back of his neck, a light blush on his cheeks, and a small smile crept onto my face. An hour ago, when I first saw him entering the conservatory, he seemed like such a stoic man, but I guess I was wrong.

Actually, now that we stood here, I realised that he was quite a tall man, around the same height as Evan, but my husband and this detective had absolutely no similarities. Evan was a tall, well-built, 6 ft 2 man with light brown hair and bright green eyes, and Enzo was a man of the same height, being muscular with blonde hair and blue eyes.

"I'm sorry, I don't want to be overstepping my boundaries, but..."

"But?" I asked, raising a brow.

"Are you sure that your husband is completely innocent?" And it was my turn to look surprised this time. What the-

"I'm sorry, I mean no offence by that," Well, I have very much taken offence to that. "You yourself said that you didn't think of yourself as the kind of person to commit suicide," And now I'm thinking that I spoke too much, I guess this is why Clyde was a bit worried.

"Are you certain that you tried to commit suicide?" I opened my mouth to speak, but then I paused, thinking back on the past events, and suddenly, the picture of that man holding a knife to my neck was thrust into my mind.

But... I thought that was supposed to be a fake memory?... So what? Evan lied to me? No way.

"I-" This time it was a young child's voice that cut me off, and I breathed out a heavy sigh, a smile crawling onto my face, and when I turned around, I saw my said child happily crawling towards me as fast as he could, a maid cautiously following behind him.

"I thought you were sleeping," I crouched down, picking him up in my arms once he was close enough, and he replied with one of those beautiful laughs of his.

"I'm sorry, detective. I guess that's all I have time for today," Turning back to look at the said man, I sent him an apologetic smile as he smiled back, crouching down a bit to poke Elio's chubby cheek.

Standing back up, he scribbled something onto his notebook, ripping the page out before handing it to me, and I took it, looking down to see his number.

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about you... Your husband is a suspicious man, Duchess. So, if you believe that anything is ever amiss, do not hesitate to contact me," I didn't reply, my eyes unmoving from the paper, and when I looked back up, he was getting into the passenger seat of the car.