Chapter 35- Seeds of Doubt

--Alina POV--

"Want me to squat down, and say 'Come to me baby' as I outstretch my arms towards you?"

"If you do that then I'll run the other way," I dared him to even try. And he laughed, not squatting down or saying anything cheesy, but outstretching his arms towards me as I shakily walked towards him, trying not to trip and fall on my way.

The feeling in my legs was getting better by the day, and I had gone from having to sit in a wheelchair all the time to using a crutch instead, which was a big achievement.

And right now, my husband was helping me re-learn how to walk normally again, making me feel like a child that was taking its first steps.

And as I got closer to him, I noticed myself fastening my footsteps until it was too late, but just before my legs gave out from beneath me, and I fell forward, Evan jumped forward, catching me in his arms before I could hit the ground.

"Good catch," I breathed out, relieved.

"Always,"

He laughed, kissing my cheek as I clung to him, and he held me in his arms, hugging me tightly while showering the top of my head with his feathery kisses.

"I like this," He breathed out.

"Hugging me? We hug all the time," I said.

"There's something about hugging, and holding hands that seems more intimate than kissing. but more than that, seeing you approach me with open arms, I've missed it. You used to always do that, run towards me with open arms,"

I hummed, tightening my hold on him as I thought back to those familiar memories.

"Don't worry, after I properly re-learn how to walk, I'll run into your arms every. Single. Day. So, you better prepare yourself," Laughing together, I snuggled closer to him as he picked me up in his arms bridal style, going to sit on the bench in the garden with me on his lap.

After I woke up from my coma, all my memories have been jumbled up, and apparently, I've got some random memories in my head too, and I don't know what's real and what's fake.

For starters, the fateful day that put me in my coma.

I swear that there was a man there, and he pushed me off the balcony. I remember asking Alvise before I lost consciousness to save our kids, but apparently, none of that happened. What if I've just gone crazy?

But no matter how much I think about it, I'm not the type of person who would try to commit suicide, especially when I'm pregnant, and over someone's mental disorder.

But also, why would Alvise lie to me? What did he have to gain by fooling me?

"Are you falling asleep?" Evan's voice whispered to me, sounding like it merged with the lulling wind, and moving away from his shoulder, I met his waiting gaze, shaking my head.

"No, I was just enjoying the breeze." It wasn't a lie, but it wasn't exactly the full truth either. I never thought that I would have to worry about my husband's honesty like this, I simply wished that all my real memories could come back, and the fake ones could go away.

"What are you going to do for the rest of the day?" He asked, and hearing his question, my day felt as though it had gotten a lot brighter.

"I'm going to have a picnic with my son,"

Evan laughed at my reaction, nodding at me as his hand came to rest on my cheek.

"Will you be joining us?" I asked with a raised brow, hoping it would be a yes. If I spend more time with him then hopefully I'll find a moment to be able to ask him about the truth.