Chapter 33- Apple of my Eye

***

"What happened to that man?" Alina asked one afternoon.

"What man?" I curiously asked as she folded her clothes, which mostly consisted of her pyjamas, and I helped to pack it all into the suitcase, along with her other necessities.

It's been a few weeks since she woke up from her coma, and I remember how busy this room had gotten on that first day. Her friends, parents, and even work colleagues all came rushing to visit, and many annoying tears were shed.

"You know... That man..." She drifted off, giving me a look that said I should have known what she was talking about, but that only seemed to confuse me more.

"No, I don't know... What man other than myself are you acquainted with?" I bluntly said, raising a jealous brow to which she huffed.

"The man that pushed me off the balcony that night, you know, the man that murdered my child, and turned me into this mess," She gestured to her legs.

Oh. That man.

"Amore mio, I think you might still be a bit confused with your memories, the doctor did say that having fallen from such a height, and having hit your head, and then being stuck in a coma for 5 months will have its repercussions. Maybe this is one of those repercussions," I subtly brushed off. Thank god that it was me in control instead of Evan right now, I was the better actor out of the both of us.

"Are you sure?... It felt so real though. He was holding a knife to my throat, and you were threatening him to let me go, and he was-"

"I guess the brain is a weird thing. To be able to create such a vivid hallucination, right?" I cut her off, not wanting to let her think about it more in case she saw through my lie.

She hummed, slowly nodding her head.

"I regret it every day," I pitifully started, my hands pausing in folding her clothes as I turned to look at her.

"If I had finished my work, and came back to you a minute, or even a second, earlier than I did, then maybe you wouldn't have fallen,"

"Fallen?" She curiously asked.

"It was on the same night that you found out about my split personality. Having kept such a big lie from you... it was no wonder that you would have been suicidal,"

"What?" She gasped, eyes widening in surprise.

"Suicide? I tried to commit suicide?" And I nodded, biting down on my bottom lip as she stared at me in disbelief.

"I was worried every day. I prayed for you to wake up, but at the same time, I wondered if you would accept me as I am. I wondered if I would lose you once you woke up,"

"I promised you that I would never leave you,"

She jumped forward, wrapping her arms around my neck as she hugged me tightly, and I hugged her back, hiding my face in the crook of her neck as my lips curved up into a smirk.

Damn, I really am such a good actor.

"I guess one of the repercussions of waking up from a coma is having to rediscover my old self, I don't know which memories are real, and which ones are fake, it's scary... But one memory that I'm certain of that's real is our wedding day when I promised to stand by your side until death do us part, through thick and thin,"

"Yeah, I remember that... One of the rare days in which I shed tears," I chuckled as she laughed with me, and I adjusted our position to sit on the bed properly, and put her on my lap as her arms hung loosely around my neck.