Chapter 32- Terms of Endearment

***

"Alina!"

I sprinted into the room, slamming open the door, and rushing in with an urgent look on my face, my heart slamming against my chest as if I were having a heart attack, which I wouldn't be surprised if that were true.

And at the beautiful sight in front of me, I almost collapsed down on my knees. She sat up on the bed, her hand going to cover her mouth as she laughed at me.

"Hello, Alvise," She greeted me as I approached her smiling figure with shaky steps, wondering if I had died and gone to heaven or if I was dreaming. But this couldn't be a dream, it was far too real. My Alina, my wife, had really woken up.

"You can tell that it's me, and not Evan?" I asked, sitting down on the bed beside her, and holding her warm hand in mine.

"Of course, I can tell. You are both complete opposites. You may have been able to fool me before I found out, but that's because you were both simply too good at acting-" I cut her off, jumping forward as I held her in my arms, hugging her so tightly that I almost sent her back to the coma she had just woken up from.

"I missed you... So much," My voice cracked.

She sat still for a moment until I felt her relax, her arms wrapping around me, and that was the best feeling that could possibly have ever existed.

It was just a few days ago where I was told to prepare for the worst, and now... Now, she was hugging me.

As if assuring me that everything's going to be okay.

She was okay.

"I missed you too," She breathed out, her hands stroking the back of my head, her head going to nuzzle in the crook of my neck like she always did.

"It must have been hard. I'm sorry... For putting you through that," She added.

"It wasn't your fault," I replied, refusing to let go of her.

"But still. All I remember is begging you to save our children, and then it was all black, and then when I woke up, the doctor said that I was in a coma for 5 months. And you must have been scared for these past 5 months. For that, I am sorry."

"On the condition that you promise to never leave me again, I will accept your apology," She chuckled, and I felt her nod.

"I want words, Amore Mio," I said.

"I promise, with my whole being, down to my bones, and the deepest part of my soul, I promise to never willingly leave your side for as long as I shall continue to live... I promise, Alvise,"

And hesitantly, I pulled away from the hug, my hands not letting go of her as I stared down at her, taking all of her in.

She was here in my arms, awake. Those violet eyes that I missed so much, that smile that could bring a man to his knees... She was awake.

And I finally let go.

Tears brimming in my eyes, tears that I've been holding back for far too long, I finally let them all go as I sat there in her arms, crying my eyes out like a child.

Holding onto her with all of me, I cried into her arms as she silently let me, stroking the back of my head as I wept.

"Don't you dare make me go through that ever again... I'll never forgive you if you do," I choked out through tears, my arms tightening around her.

"I promise," She laughed, peppering me with kisses.

***---***---***