12.Flowers(Finale Part 2)

'You have until the first flower blossoms.'

In what felt like a blink of an eye, it was nearing the end of their middle school career. The graduates wore the flowers on their chests with pride, and received their certificates one after the other. Tears were shed as friends cherished their last few moments as classmates, looking back at the memories they had. Among the students, one sat there with no emotion on his face, as he soulless eyes stared at the back of a girl sitting diagonally to his right.

He let out a sigh.

After a long and dull speech by the principal, the students went back to the classroom for one last lesson.

"It's been an honor to be your homeroom teacher for the three years." Tanabe-sensei said. "I've seen you each mature, some a lot, some have more room to grow. I wish you all nothing but a great future. High school is what lies in front of you, and it's not going to be easy. Do what your heart tells you and be the best of yourself, not only for you, but also for the ones around you. Lastly, if you can visit me in the future, that will make me really happy."

He took a bow, and left the classroom in the applauses of the students.

Nishikata blanked out at the door Tanabe-sensei left from, he then look a the flower on his chest.

卒業(Graduate)

He bit his lips.

One month earlier------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"When?"

One recess, Kimura pulled Nishikata to the corner along with Nakai and Takao.

"What? What 'when'?" Nishikata asked, utterly confused.

"Takagi-san." Takao sighed as he adjusted his big round glasses. "When are you gonna confess your feelings to her?"

"Wha..." Nishikata blushed. "I'm not in lo..."

"Cut the crap." It was the first time Nakai looked so serious. "You like her, you are probably the only one who doesn't know that."

"I..."

"Nishikata," Kimura took a deep breath. "We are graduating in a month! You might go to a different high school to hers and never see each other regularly! If you realize your feelings then, it will be too late."

"I..." Nishikata looked down. "But I'm not good enough for her, am I?"

"That's not what she thinks." Takao said. "She obviously likes you."

"That's through your lenses!" Nishikata cried out. "She just like to tease me! That's it!"

The three of them looked at each other, then at Nishikata, still had his head down.

"Whatever you want to do, you have until the first flower blossom." Kimura said. "Or it will be too late."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The classroom was noisy.

Good friends for years were taking pictures with each other, signing each other's year book, and saying their final goodbyes. No one can really take in the fact that they won't be seeing these people so familiar to them regularly anymore.

Nishikata thought back to the three years of middle school, and strangely, most memories popped into mind were made with Takagi. He took a glance at the her chatting to her in the corner. She obviously cried during the graduation ceremony, as the dried up tear streams could be seen on her cheeks. Takagi seemed to have notice the boy looking at her and gave him a grin, making him blush and turned the other way.