~31

Marie and Levi were hiding behind the bar but Marie felt so many people surrounding the building.

"Around ten people are surrounding the building..." Marie signed to Levi and he nodded.

"Never thought you'd still be alive," Levi said. "What happened to kill the Military police? Now you're one of them?"

"Adults do lots of things a kid like you two wouldn't understand. Oops. You're just so tiny, it's hard to believe you're not a kid anymore, Levi. Your sister is almost as tall as you while being so much younger. I have been looking forward to seeing you in action. I hope you taught your sister well."

"Everything that Levi taught me came from him. But why is his Energy so off?" Marie thought.

"Didn't I tell you what happens to a cornered rat? No matter what way you try to run, you'll get blasted from above."

"Marie, Bar owners have guns to protect themselves. Grab his gun from underneath the wine bottles. Make sure the bar owner doesn't freak out." Levi signed at Marie

Kenny suddenly threw a chair at the wine bottles but Marie and Levi didn't flinch. The bar owner looked at Marie with fear but Marie put her finger in front of her mouth to tell him to keep quiet. Marie quietly moved towards the box under the wine bottles and grabbed it while simultaneously opening it. The gun was already loaded and she handed it over to Levi.

"There's gotta be a reason why you two became scouts, and I think I know what it is. We had no choice but to survive in that garbage dump. It took all we had each day to keep livin'. And when you found out how big the world really was, you can bet it hurt like hell. But something saved us. We'd found something we wanted to do. It's that simple." Kenny spoke.

Levi turned a wine bottle around so that he could see Kenny in its reflection.

"So blowing the heads off my teammates is something you enjoy doing?" Levi said

"Yeah... To achieve my grand goals, I'll kill as much as I have to." Kenny said.

Levi gave Marie a sign to get ready to escape and she got ready.

"You're no different, Levi. You kill when it benefits you too."

"Yeah"

Levi turned the gun he held toward Kenny and handed it back to the old bar owner. Marie and Levi both threw a chair out of the window on both sides as a distraction before getting out.

Marie immediately killed the enemy that was above her and threw his body to the ground. She flew to Levi who killed three enemies and immediately went after Eren and Historia.

"The others are here too." Marie thought as she felt her squad's energy nearby.

Marie quickly turned around as she felt an enemy behind her and immediately pierced her blade through his neck.

"What?!" Marie could hear Jean yell.

"Chase the wagon!" Levi shouted to his squad. "Listen up. The enemy is used to fighting people. They already got three of ours. If we're going to get them back you can't hesitate. If you get the chance, you kill. Armin, Jean! secure the wagon! We'll cover for you."

An enemy fired a shot at Marie and she was slightly late to dodge it and it cut her cheek. She clenched her jaw and sliced the enemy's stomach when she heard a gunshot coming from the wagon.

She quickly turned around while she tossed the enemy's body away and saw that Armin killed an enemy who was about to kill Jean.

Three enemies came behind Armin and Jean and Levi and Sasha quickly got them out of the wagon but they lost Eren and Historia in the process.

Mikasa was filled with rage and was about to chase the wagon.

"Don't do it! Fall back!" Levi shouted while he held her back.

"Eren!" Mikasa shouted.

"Shit..." Marie thought.

.......

Marie and the rest of the squad went to a hideout and got some field rations to eat.

Armin was staring at his food with a rather shocked expression.

"The woman he killed must've taken a toll on him." Marie thought sadly.

"Jean... There was something I don't understand. How could I pull the trigger while you couldn't?" Armin asked him. "The person I killed... I bet it was a nice person. Someone much more human than I am."

"Armin. You've got blood on your hands now. You can't go back to who you were. But thanks to you, Jean is still here. Thank you." Levi told him.

"Captain Levi. I thought it was wrong to fight humans and wrong for you to order us to do it. I'm the wrong one." Jean said apologetically.

"I never said what was right or wrong. I don't even know myself. Are you really the one in the wrong?"

Jean had a shocked expression on his face.

"How... How are you and Marie able to kill people that easily?" Connie asked and Marie answered.

"It's not that we want to, but we do what is needed to survive and achieve what we were thriving for. With this mindset, I made sure to survive in that garbage dump."

"You killed in the underground?" Connie asked.

"I did but in order to survive. Like I said. It's not that I wanted to. The underground is something else compared to the surface."

Connie swallowed nervously.

 Levi and the others were going to investigate the captured guy and Marie and Sasha were now both on the lookout.

"I heard everything." Sasha started.

"You have good hearing too right?"

"Yeah... Man... Those field rations aren't the tastiest things to eat." Sasha said to brighten up the grim mood.

"I thought you liked everything food-related. Do you want another baked potato. Perhaps the one you ate while Keith yelled at you?" Marie signed teasingly.

"That was one good baked potato..." She said while drool fell from her mouth. 

"You really are an idiot." 

"Oh shut it."

Both Marie and Sasha smiled at the memory.

..........

On that evening the whole squad went to an abandoned farm where they were waiting for the guy they had captured.

"So... That fat rich guy will lead the military police in a wagon to us?" Connie asked Marie and she nodded.

The wagon finally arrived and two MP's walked out. They were dumbfounded but Levi and Mikasa instantly nocked them out.

They carried the MP's into the old farm and in the basement was some sort of small dungeon where Levi, Hange, and Moblit were investigating Sannes, one of the two MP's. If needed, they were able to torture them.

The rest of the squad were sitting around the table but Marie sat on the ground, cross-legged and Mikasa leaned against the wall. A scream was heard from Sannes but everyone feels like this one was louder than when Levi did it.

"Hange must be the one that does it now." Marie signed at everyone.

"Hmph... Even though this is to save those two, it makes me sick." Jean said.

"Let's face it... We're criminals now." Armin said.

"I am already used to the title." Marie signed. "But you know why we do it. It's not because we're necessarily bad... But it's because of the reason what we're fighting for. The enemy is just another group but with a different viewpoint. That's sadly how this world works and how we humans are."

Everyone looked at Marie with a darkened expression but everyone's energy was quite guilty and sad.

"This world truly is messed up but we have to do the things we do in order to survive..."