Chapter 26

He did not know what to make of this situation, the storm had changed its direction away from sodoshima island but instead now heading toward osaka, the abrupt change of directions took the wind and clouds away from them, now the clear skies and stars reigned high above everything else… 

But… a tree had come crashing down, taking a power line with it. Most of the neighborhood other than the houses connected to the same power grid as Takagi's house were out of power… 

When everyone finally stepped out it look like a post apocalyptic world, everyone with their flashlights , only the moon illuminating the streets, the power was gone in most areas . Nishikata looked in the distance towards buildings which still had power with envy 

He suddenly felt a familiar voice calling out for him, it was the voice of caring, of love, it was the voice of his mother… 

The woman ran to her son and hugged him tightly 

" Mom… " He stuttered a bit embarrassed 

" Are you okay? Did you get hurt? Have you eaten anything? "

" I'm fine mom… I made myself and Takagi-san some sandwiches … "

" Takagi-san? you made the woman sandwiches? I told you can't touch the toaster. And why didn't you just ask the adult to make you some, if Mrs Takagi was with you.. "

" No.. Not that takagi-san… " He wasn't surprised by her reaction after all she called Takagi's mother Takagi-san too… but he didn't like that she was nagging him as soon as she was back

She looked behind him, " Oh the daughter? " 

" Yeah… "

" I see… Rie are you okay? " 

" Yeah I'm okay… "

" I see… How is the house? "

" It's fine , just the lights went out...and the ceiling started leaking."

" Why weren't you Taking my calls? " She said, eyeing his son and the girl beside him a bit suspiciously, they were standing too close to each other. Also she was wearing what she recognized to be her son's clothes 

" He just held his cell phone , no signal "

" Damn this hurricane, I'm so glad you two are okay.. " She checked both of them for any scratches or injuries.. " Rie, where are your parents, or even your brother? " 

" Dad is probably stuck at work, mom and yosuke went out somewhere , they said they'd be back but.. "

" How irresponsible.. " His mother muttered 

" Mom… you just came back after 3 days… "

" I asked you if you wanted to come with me and you said no "

" … "

" Anyway… thank god nothing happened… but I- why are you two..." She suddenly started coughing.. 

Nishikata suddenly ran towards her and snatched her purse and then started digging through it. He pulled out something she couldn't quite see, he quickly gave her mother the object, she quickly pressed it against her mouth. 

" What? " Takagi muttered, confused about what was happening. 

" Asthma… that's her inhaler… "

" Oh I see… "

" So as I was saying… Why aren't you in my son's clothes? "

" Well hers got wet in the rain… "