[61]

Luke's P.O.V.

My fingers feel as if they were about to bleed. Caleb has made me play all night, every night, for the last two months. Luckily, I can't bleed or cramp or crack or break. Unless Caleb wants me too.

"I need to see her, Caleb," I say, following him backstage.

"Nonsense," he waves his hand toward me. "I have given you what you need, right here. You made a deal with me. You belong to me."

"It's her birthday," I reason.

"So?" Caleb asks, sitting in his tall leather chair. The one that acts as a throne. It'd be more accurate if it was made from skulls.

"Please, Caleb?" I beg. "I just- I have to just see her."

Caleb groans and pops a candy into his mouth. "If it will get you to shut the hell up."

"Thank you, sir," I bowed my head. He snapped his fingers and purple mist rose around me. When the purple curtain falls, I am in a hospital room. I look around the darkness. There's a body laying in the bed, wire after wire connected to its head. I approach it, my eyes finally adjusting.

"Dahlia?" I whisper.

She doesn't respond. I look at her face. Behind the patches where wires are connected, her forehead is tight. Her cheeks are sinking in. Her collarbones more prominent. Her usual dark skin looks washed out. Her once full lips are now dry and chapped.

"What have they done to you, darling?" I whisper, running my hand down her thinning arm. When I reach her hand, I notice the IV. I read the drip bag. It's some kind of sedative.

I carefully slip my hand in hers, holding it gingerly. I'm scared to hurt her. I lean over her and kiss her forehead. "I'm so sorry, Dahl. I miss you so much, my love."

*****
Dahlia's P.O.V.

I know that I'm asleep. I have to be. They hung up my sedative IV bag, just the simple cure for your every day hospitalized insomniac. My dream feels real however.

I'm in my hospital room, much like I am now. It's got to be the middle of the night. There's a voice in my room. I try to open my eyes to see its source, but they won't open. Eventually, the voice is directly above me and I can recognize its perfect pitch.

Luke.

It feels so real. Every word he says. I can even feel his hand in mine. I can feel his lips against my forehead. But there's nothing I can say, nothing I can do.

"I miss you so much, my love," he says.

I miss you too, I say. When he doesn't say anything back I yell it.

"This is all my fault," I hear him cry.

No, Luke. Don't say that, I reach out to run my hand through his hair.

I can feel his lips against my forehead again. "I can't be away much longer."

Please, stay with me.

"Happy birthday, Dahl. I love you."

No. Stay!

"Goodbye," he whispers finally. I feel his hand lightly drop my own, as if it were about to break.

No! No! Come back! Please, come back. Luke, please! Don't leave me again.

But it's too late. I don't have to open my eyes to know that he is gone. The room feels empty, just like my hand, exactly like my heart.

Luke is gone. Forever.

A.N.

Told you you wouldn't like the end.

Lol❤✌

-Redd

💀✌🦋😘❄😳🐍😎🏳️‍🌈🤠🥁