[42]

Julie's P.O.V.

His eyes.

My hearts melts, just by the way he's singing with me. But his eyes make me believe it. This song, sharing this moment together, it's so powerful.

I look back into his beautiful eyes, the ones that I could fall into forever and never hit the ground. But they aren't looking back at me.

I follow his eyes, passed my shoulder. His gaze goes farther, even farther than Reggie.

He's looking at her.

*****
Dahlia's P.O.V.

I shift my feet closer together, bringing my arms up over my chest. I feel wrong, getting sang to like this. Maybe in another situation it would be sweet, romantic even. But knowing that Luke is a ghost and Reggie's in love with him makes me feel like I'm betraying him. And myself.

How could it possibly be fair to let myself fall for a phantom?

That's when I see it. The look on Julie's face. She's looking back at me now, her eyes burning. Either she is on the verge of tears or about to have a fit of rage.

The song ends sooner than I expect it to and the crowd cheers and gasps as the boys disappear. I hear a swooshing sound behind me and turn to see Luke, Reggie, and Alex.

"What the hell was that?" I sternly ask, attempting to push my palm against Luke's chest.

"Thank you," Julie says from onstage. "We're Julie and the Phantoms. Tell your friends!"

"What was what?" Luke asks back, looking down at where my hand had gone through him.

"Why did you-?"

"Luke," Julie says, rushing off the stage and towards us. "I need to talk to you."

"Not now, Julie," Luke says.

"No, now," she shakes her head, pointing to the ground in front of her.

"Why couldn't you just sing the damn song with her, Luke?" I say under my breath.

"Because the song wasn't for her," he says quickly, walking passed me and to Julie.

I quickly turn to Reggie and Alex, feeling tears brimming my eyes.

"I'm sorry, Reg," I say, though it comes out as a whisper.

He opens his mouth but I don't stick around to listen to what he has to say. I turn on my heels and walk back to where I'm hoping my dad is still sitting.

"Julie?" A tall woman with curly hair stops me.

"No," I say, pointing toward where I know Julie is standing. "She's over there."

The woman nods to me before walking over to where I pointed.

"Dahlia," Dad approaches me, serious. "Where is she?"

I look up at him, not saying anything.

"Tell me," he says.

I point behind me again, toward the direction I just gave the woman. Papa nods before walking around me and toward Julie. I quickly shake my head and walk toward the exit.

I step outside and sit on a bench on the sidewalk. I bring my knees up to my chest and put my head between my knees.

Why couldn't he just sing the stupid song? Why does he have to be so stupid?