Part seventy-eight

(Chloe's POV)

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack and dropped right in the middle of my backswing." Ross said, acting like he was swinging a golf club. "Turns out it was the best round of my life because after thirteen hours of surgery and a triple bypass, I found something that forty years in the army never taught me. Perspective."

I stood leaning against the wall behind Wanda, Sam, and Vision, as they sat at the table. Mom, Rhodey, and Steve sat on the other side of the table while Tony sat in a chair away from the table.

"The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives, but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some...who prefer the word vigilante." Ross said almost cautiously.

"And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Mom asked trying to sound polite.

"How about "dangerous"?" He responded. "What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals, who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose, and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind."

Excuse me?

I crossed my arms as he moved and the screen behind him turned on and showed a map with dots. "New York." Ross said and the map closed in and showed footage of the Battle of New York.

I watched Rhodey turn and look at mom out of the corner of my eye but my eyes were glued to the screen. "Washington, D.C.." The screen changed again, this time showing the helicarriers crashing into each other.

"Sokovia." I watched as footage of the city flying into the air and buildings crumbling. I glanced at Wanda but she was focused on the screen.

"Latvia." A video of the museum exploding played and I ran a hand through my hair, not knowing what to do or where to look or how to feel.

"Lagos." The screen changed again and it showed the building on fire, and people dead.

"Okay. That's enough." Steve said and the slide show stopped. I let out a breath and looked at the floor.

Thank you.

"For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate." Ross explained and I looked at him in bewilderment. "But I think we have a solution."

Oh really?

The man who came with Ross handed him a book, and he set it in front of Wanda. "The Sokovia Accords." He said.

I stepped forward and looked at it over her shoulder as she flipped through it. When she looked up at me I returned to my spot on the wall, and she passed it to Rhodey.

"Approved by one-hundred and seventeen countries. It states that's the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization." Ross said walking around the table and past me. As he got close to me I scowled at him but he ignored it. "Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only when and if that panel deems it necessary."

What?! Nuh-uh!

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that." Steve defended.

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?" Ross asked and Steve looked up at him. "If I misplaced a couple of thirty megaton nukes, you can bet there'd be consequences."

Walking back to the head of the table he continued talking. "Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground."